Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 08-04-2006, 02:21 PM

Red face '03 FSE 400 Need Help!

I recently purchased an FSE 400. Tested ok, ran strong, and pulled hard. Most recently it blew a head gasket and suffered a major meltdown. Took it to the local GasGas dealership where they said it needed a top and bottom rebuild. He gave me a ballpark of $2,200 and said he was figuring high. We were both shocked when the estimate came back at $4,200 with $3,500 of that being parts alone. Bottom line, the bike didn't cost me that much to begin with and I can't justify $3,500 in parts when I can buy the complete bike for that. So now I'm looking for a motor, advice, etc., or a big rock to bang my head on.

Old 08-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Site Sponsor

Depending on the failure and what components need to be replaced, its pretty easy to rack up $3500 plus on a 4 stroke regardles of who makes it. Rest assured that some owners of the new wave asian 4 strokes have 6 packs of major components laying around.

We don't know the details of the actual estimate or the damage done. Not saying this happened but sometimes estimates can be a bit "generous" for whatever reason. You might be able to source some parts/components from someone that may be parting one out or something along those lines. It may be worth a try before going the rock route. Sorry to hear about your dilemma.

www.lt-racing.com
Port Orchard, WA USA
Old 08-04-2006, 04:09 PM

thanks for the tip, I'm trying to source items as we speak but not much luck. I essentially need a new top end (Jug, piston, bowls, etc.) also need a crank and what not. Still trying to recover from the initial shock and will see if I can track down a more detailed parts list. Thanks for the advice and keep it coming. I actually have had a few people in passing highly recommend LT-Racing so keep in touch we'll see what develops.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:33 PM

Did you find any parts?I`m after the same parts for a,SM400!
Old 10-27-2006, 08:35 PM

Try Gas Gas Atlantic in Canada. I know he has a couple of used FSEs and I think he has mentioned parting them out.

Give Barry a call. (902)434-8516
Old 10-28-2006, 07:52 PM

Hey Blackflagged - try these guys. I think they have a 450 they're parting out. Something wrong with the injector though from memory.

http://www.citymotorcycles.co.nz/index.htm

2006 GasGas EC300
2005 GasGas 250 Pampera (Hers)
2000 BMW R1150GS
1979 BMW R100RS
Old 11-03-2006, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre916 View Post
Hey Blackflagged - try these guys. I think they have a 450 they're parting out. Something wrong with the injector though from memory.

http://www.citymotorcycles.co.nz/index.htm
Thanks For that,will give them a try (Both)