Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:42 AM

Default Obama and riding areas:

I AM NOT putting up this post to start a discussion regarding personal political ideaology, although I know it may go there. My question is, now that Obama got reelected, what the heck can we do to get more singletrack riding areas, and keep the ones we have from being closed?

Is this a different question if Romney had won?

I think that even if Romney had won, all singletrack riding on public lands will be over very soon. I don't think either party gives a darn about our desires because we are a small group, and we also don't make much noise. I'd bet in numbers we are larger than the enviro-nuts, but they yell real loud and we don't. We just complain on sites like this one. Which is what I guess I'm doing a little, but I am also seriously looking for new ideas on how to get ourselves moving towards getting back the riding areas lost, and getting new ones. I'm not content to simply keep open the ones we now have.

I think if we don't start finding ways to be proactive in getting new areas, we have already lost the battle.

By the way, I am an AMA member, Blue Ribbon too. I sign petitions when I get the chance. I go to meetings regarding trail use and closures. I am looking for new ideas, or variations of old ones that don't get discussed often.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:47 AM

Opening up more public land generally means dealing with the Forest Service - a federal agency. We need to concentrate at the federal level to get anything accomplished. In order "to petition the Government for a redress of grievances" we need to put money in the political system. Sad concept, but true. So, who is going to forgo an auto-clutch, new pipe or steering damper and put that money with, say, the AMA or BRC or...
Old 11-07-2012, 06:59 AM

You better start doing group buys of private land and hope they even let you use that!.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Administrator

You don't have to buy the land - A lumber company might be can be happy to have a private motorcycle club watching over their land while their timber matures - and making a few bucks along the way.

I recently heard of a long term lease that worked out well for all parties involved.

Jeff
Old 11-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Banned

Ooh, I like that idea. Maybe I can make a deal with the cartel and watch over there drop areas while still riding trail!!

Sad but true, got harrased by a sheriff for riding on state land. Said I was wrecking the desert, meanwhile we were standing in the midst of old water bottles, backpacks, clothes and random garbage left behind by the illegals.

I do believe this is a battle that is going to be worse for our children.

Meanwhile enjoy what we have and do whatever you can to keep it(legally of course)!
Old 11-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Hmm

IMO the more Republican appointed folks running the USFS and the DOI (BLM, etc) the better for OHV, but maybe not better for other social issues.

I was selfish and voted only for the candidate who I felt would be most OHV friendly......although a local Dem (who is known as very green) did stick his neck out for OHV a few months ago so I guess you never know.

Long story short, do not quit on fighting for our access
2007 Beta Rev 3 270
2007 KTM 200 XC Wife's

Public Lands belong to the Public
Old 11-07-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
You don't have to buy the land - A lumber company might be can be happy to have a private motorcycle club watching over their land while their timber matures - and making a few bucks along the way.

I recently heard of a long term lease that worked out well for all parties involved.

Jeff
Two of my favorite riding areas are owned (or leased) by timber companies: Train Robbers near Hot Springs, AR and West Point near Lawerenceburg, TN. Local dirt bike clubs (ADR & NATRA) have made deals to use the properties. Each are roughly 5,000 acres and logging operations are usually going on some small portion of the property. I've never experienced or even heard of any problems between riders and loggers.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:23 PM

The real problem isn't so much Obama as it is his appointed Secretary of Interior, Ken Salazar. He's the one who's been trying to close down massive amounts of public land with his "wild lands policy."
Old 11-07-2012, 04:22 PM

Picking a candidate to be your next elected official is like trying to decide which STD you'd like to spend the rest of your life with. I voted...see you at the clinic
Old 11-07-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter007 View Post
Picking a candidate to be your next elected official is like trying to decide which STD you'd like to spend the rest of your life with. I voted...see you at the clinic
LOL. If I read this this morning, there'd be coffee on the keyboard. Since it's noon somewhere, it's bourbon on the keys. At least it dries faster.