Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:12 PM

Default 2 strokes for Street?

I have seen many posts recently about the street legal status of 2 smokes and if these would be imported street legal...do people really dual-sport 2-strokes?...what do you do on a long dual-sport ride with gas stops getting upwords of 70+ miles?...wouldnt a 4-Stroke that can use pump gas be better suited for dual-sport riding...we have a couple of Dual-Sport Bergs (550 and 650) and they are awesome for multi-use trails/transition roads and you can fill-up at a gas station using pump gas.

Seems to me, focus on street legaling bikes that compete directly against Street legal Husky and K-Mart Trail Machines would be the best way to go.

Just my $0.02...It seems that the street legal KTMs are making or will be making a big impact on 4-Stroke sales throughout all the local dealerships in our town (hint hint fatfreddie)

BikeBarnBeckman
Medford, OR

Old 10-25-2006, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebarnbeckman View Post
I have seen many posts recently about the street legal status of 2 smokes and if these would be imported street legal...do people really dual-sport 2-strokes?...what do you do on a long dual-sport ride with gas stops getting upwords of 70+
I don't make a point of cruising backroads, but I've got a street plate on mine, and with a Clark tank I can get about 160+km of mostly trails, and if I need more gas I have a small bottle of oil measured out for a 5 litre topup.
Not a huge deal.
If the 2T's were detuned slightly they could run the roads all day like a DT200 can.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:32 AM

A street license is required in some areas to complete trail loops on connecting roads. As such, a street plated 2T is very important to me.

With proper jetting (LTR) I can get 28-33 mpg out of my GasGas 2T carrying my 270 lb geared up carcass around on trails like this (Trail 1, 2, 261)...

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation...s/trails.shtml

A 2T GasGas is spectacular on these trails.

My GasGas 2T's also cruise fine on gravel roads for miles at a stretch.

By the time I am out of fuel, I am very tired and my riding buddies are barely moving.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Similar to what Eric said, here in Michigan you need to be street legal to connect between trail systems. The MCCCT trail system which goes throughout Michigan is pretty rugged from a dual-sport standpoint. I wouldn't want to ride a XR650, etc. on these trails. The whoops and tight tress would kill you. A dual-sported 2T bike is perfect for these conditions. Also, riders needed to be street legal to race enduros here, but I guess that is changing next year with the new format being closed-course.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
I wouldn't want to ride a XR650, etc. on these trails. The whoops and tight tress would kill you.
So... you're saying XR650's don't do well on whoops? What do you think a lot of the Baja and BITD courses are? I've seen people singletrack xr650's but they were crazy...
Old 10-25-2006, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsnowcrack View Post
I've seen people singletrack xr650's but they were crazy...
I rode one for 3 years here on lots of tight singletrack, even a few enduros. I had tons of fun, and I miss that bike, but the Gasser is certainly much nicer for 1track.
Actually the XR sucked for the whoops. If you're not doing mach3 that 300 lb. bike drops into every trough.
My Gasser is street legal. Roads are no fun but are necessary evils for riding around here too.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:19 PM

I think the word dualsport means different things in different parts of the country. In New England most dualsports are more like enduros without timing. A Husa 650 would be hell for all but the biggest riders. You need a woods specific machine thats legal over the road to connect the loops.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsnowcrack View Post
So... you're saying XR650's don't do well on whoops? What do you think a lot of the Baja and BITD courses are? I've seen people singletrack xr650's but they were crazy...

The only thing an XR650 has going for it is the ability to run 100+ mph and not kill the engine. If I were running the baja 1000 or long pavement/dirt roads in Michigan, then an XR650 would make sense. The original poster asked why to dual-sport a 2T bike. For the riding that I do... connector trails and tight woods, then a lower displacement 2T bike is better for that and street legalizing it is required. Can you ride the big red pig in the whoops and tight singletrack? Sure you can, but I would not want to. Like in the Baja 1000, a stock VW bug/bettle can run in the race but an unlimited race buggy is a better tool for the job. In the tight woods and whoops of Michigan, the XR650 is out of its element in my opinion.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
The only thing an XR650 has going for it is the ability to run 100+ mph and not kill the engine. If I were running the baja 1000 or long pavement/dirt roads in Michigan, then an XR650 would make sense. The original poster asked why to dual-sport a 2T bike. For the riding that I do... connector trails and tight woods, then a lower displacement 2T bike is better for that and street legalizing it is required. Can you ride the big red pig in the whoops and tight singletrack? Sure you can, but I would not want to. Like in the Baja 1000, a stock VW bug/bettle can run in the race but an unlimited race buggy is a better tool for the job. In the tight woods and whoops of Michigan, the XR650 is out of its element in my opinion.
You will notice that I never said that an XR650 would be an ideal dual sport bike for riding singletrack trails (I actually indicated otherwise). I never said an XR650 would be a better dual sport bike than a 200 2t bike but like skid said, depends on what you consider dual sporting. I was questioning the comment that XR650's suck in whoops. Sorry, MattR uses his Moderator super powers inappropiately .

Last edited by gtsnowcrack; 10-26-2006 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Super Mod
Old 10-26-2006, 08:37 PM

Matt, if I am vulgar, obscene, or attack someone inappropiately go ahead and edit away. Otherwise I think you should stay out of people's posts.

(And no, panties do not fall into any of those catagories.)