Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:18 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Going to sell my Gasser and BUY A KTM!

Yep, I reckon that's what I'm gonna do, and here's why.
1. It doesn't handle so good anymore. When I first got the gasser I quickly discovered that all I needed to do to get around corners was to "visualise" myself around, and it would just happen.Gone was the requirement to pull the bars, push the pegs, squeeze the knees,slip the clutch, drop the throttle, slide the back and all the other assorted activities which had previously been mandatory. Well, that's OK, but now I find myself going so fast into corners that the "visualisation method" is failing me, and I'm constantly overshooting and hitting things(like trees-we have lots here in NZ). I once again am being asked for some sort of input to get around corners and, well, I've forgotten how - I blame the bike entirely.
2. The gasser has turned me into a lazy fat lethargic slob. Gone are the days of getting massively stuck, falling off, tugging on mud encrusted bars and front wheels, pushing on flimsy back mudgaurds, showering myself with s..t, running over my own foot and generally collapsing in an exhausted heap next to the blasted thing. Nah, I don't get stuck much anymore and my fitness level has deteriorated accordingly. I blame the bike for that too.
3. The gasser has turned me into a social outcast. I used to like riding with my mates as a group. Now I seem to be way, way out in front all by myself. They reckon they are hanging back cause they don't like the smell. I reckon they are riding slower 'cause they don't like me anymore - it can't be that I'm faster than I was on my previous bike can it? Nah, can't be - I sure aren't trying as hard as I used to. I blame the bike.
4. I don't think I'm getting good value for money anymore. There was a time when I'd do a 100k trail ride and I KNEW I'd done a ride. But now, after 100k I'm not feeling totally satisfied - like the bike is ripping me off in some way, so I think well, I gotta do another lap - say 25k. See, if I'd been getting full value for money I'd be overcome with that wonderous combination of satisfaction, elation and exhaustion wouldn't I? But nah, I'm just thinkin how sore my knees are and man what a cool little bike that is... Go figure - I blame the bike.
So yep, I reckon I'm missing out bigtime by having this gasser. I'm goin ta get me a REAL bike....I'm goin ta get me a KTM.... or maybe go retro and get a XT500...Yeh...Nah, come to think of it..... there's a wirey old due I see quite often who's got one of those, and he never looks like he's enjoying himself....nah.... he's never smiling like me....hmmm...

Old 08-12-2010, 02:48 AM

boo hoo
Old 08-12-2010, 03:17 AM

Whatever... Sounds like your gasser is everything it should be and you would rather ride a piece of .... .
I think you are just joking, well I hope so.
I f you think you are still the same speed ride with blokes that were definitely quicker than you and see where you are now.My guess is wither with or in front. I know the gasser has stepped me up to my measuring stick rider and now I have to find a new measuring stick but I no complain.....

Cheers Mark
Old 08-12-2010, 03:20 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Each night I walk into my garage,get out a spanner & screwdriver,then walk around my 300 looking for something to 'fix'.On finding nothing wrong I go back inside.Not only has my bike robbed me of some token 'manlyness',since I spend more time inside, my wife has found that I am in fact a total prick.Now I have to buy a KTM!
Old 08-12-2010, 06:01 AM

LOL! Such sad sorid tales!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:32 AM

both of you are hilarious....
Old 08-12-2010, 09:26 AM

this is a good laugh, well thought of, funy way to praise your gasser!

it makes me even more impatient to go riding my gasser, but i gotta get 'er fixed first. end of the month i should be back on the trails
Old 08-12-2010, 10:06 AM

me too.. bought a wr450 to back up my gg300 and for the odd weekends i dont want to kick one...
when i ride the 450, the entire next week is spent repairing or some odd maint.. when i ride the 300 it is a clean up and look at it for a week....

have had my 300 2 years, nothing more than normal maint at all... it is like an anvil....
Old 08-12-2010, 10:27 AM

I should let this (sorta friend) read your story.
So, I offered to get him a 08 or 09 EC 300 at dealer cost but he said GG was
junk and didn't want to spend the extra money
So he bought a xc 250 that a dealer was blowing out, an 08 for $3999.
He hated the suspension so he spent $1500.00 sending it to get revalved and resprung. Got the forks back and one leg started leaking from the axel lug, had to send it back, bike was down for over a month while KTM was deciding if it was a warranty issue...which it was "ok"
Got it back in the trail and decided he didn't like the short tranny gear ratio so he spent another $1000.00 converting the tranny to a XCW.
Now he doesn't think it have enough low end grunt and want's to do the 300cc kit, which I'm guessing will be at least another grand with shop labor.
All because I easily spank him in every trail and I always tell him the truth that it's not me, it's the bike.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto9 View Post
I should let this (sorta friend) read your story.
So, I offered to get him a 08 or 09 EC 300 at dealer cost but he said GG was
junk and didn't want to spend the extra money
So he bought a xc 250 that a dealer was blowing out, an 08 for $3999.
He hated the suspension so he spent $1500.00 sending it to get revalved and resprung. Got the forks back and one leg started leaking from the axel lug, had to send it back, bike was down for over a month while KTM was deciding if it was a warranty issue...which it was "ok"
Got it back in the trail and decided he didn't like the short tranny gear ratio so he spent another $1000.00 converting the tranny to a XCW.
Now he doesn't think it have enough low end grunt and want's to do the 300cc kit, which I'm guessing will be at least another grand with shop labor.
All because I easily spank him in every trail and I always tell him the truth that it's not me, it's the bike.
Thats too Funny.
The thing about the gasgas is they work right out of the box , At least that has been my expeirience.

alittle over a year , stock, with no issues.

http://philipstewart.zenfolio.com