Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-19-2023, 12:18 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Little Things That Make a Difference (add yours)

Recently I changed a couple of things on my bike and am surprised at how much difference some "little things" can make.

(1) Shock Rebound - On a bit of a whim, I added 5 clicks of rebound damping to the rear. Instantly, the bike launched off of whoops/obstacles and brought the front end up, making it easier to clear the next whoop/obstacle.

Because rebound slightly affects compression damping, and I was trying to get things softer, I had removed rebound. But the effect was to make the bike flatten out (or dive) when going over a log or off of a rock, and the rear suspension felt kind of "dead". Now I don't have to jerk with my arms trying to loft the front end. The suspension does it for me!

(2) Bar Clamp Position - I had my bars in the rear hole, with the clamp in the forward position. I realized that I was riding with an "arms straight" approach - so I spun the clamps toward the rear. I am surprised at how much easier and more balanced I feel when climbing hills while standing. I can get my weight forward much better, and the change in position was only a few mm.

So clicks and a mm or two can make a difference!

What "Little Things" have made a difference for you? Feel free to add your thoughts!

Jeff

Old 11-19-2023, 01:19 PM

Fork height, a 1mm change can make a huge difference for stability or cornering.

Seat cover, the oem seat cover had seems where the top and sides met. I thought it was one of the worst seats ever as I would get sore when riding it for a short time. Put on a new seat cover that was one piece without seams and it's a night and day difference. Now I think the seat is actually comfortable.

Handlebars. This one is very subjective but most bars have too much sweep for me and height. Less sweep and height means more over the bars when in the attack position. Tried a lot of them and now run factory '13 KTM bend Neken bars and I love them.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 11-19-2023, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

My bikes rear tire would kick on whoops.

The front end felt like it wasn't getting lift on the face of the whoops.
I turned the fork rebound adjuster in four turns.
Problem solved.