Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default TuBliss

I've been experimenting with lots of stuff since I've decided to try to qualify for the ISDE in 2010. One of them has been TuBliss tire inserts. I like them. They make it a snap to change a tire. A little different, but it's pretty nice. Not that a foam insert is impossible, but sometimes the tire doesn't bead, and that wobbly feeling drives me nuts. Certainly if I'm going to do two tires in less than 15 minutes, this TuBliss thing is an advantage.

I have enjoyed experimenting with tire pressures, running anywhere from 4-8 psi. What's incredible about that is that you can air down the tire and get unreal grip in low traction situations. I'll have to put some tires on that I'm used to though for a real traction report, because I tried some oddball Sedona Tires. They seem fine, but have been less predictable than my normal Dunlop 773. I'm not sure if it's the tire pressure, or the tire itself. They worked great in the desert, I ran 8 psi front and rear and had absolutely no complaints.

OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Old 10-19-2009, 01:37 PM

Go for a hard 8 hour ride in adverse conditions with the Tubliss system. I would not trust that system to last all day at the ISDE, especially with FIM tires which don't have overly tough carcasses.

4-5 minutes to change a mousse once you learn the technique. It's not a difficult thing once you get a good tire stand and learn the technique.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac View Post
Go for a hard 8 hour ride in adverse conditions with the Tubliss system. I would not trust that system to last all day at the ISDE, especially with FIM tires which don't have overly tough carcasses.

4-5 minutes to change a mousse once you learn the technique. It's not a difficult thing once you get a good tire stand and learn the technique.
I think some really good points by Speedy.

I think the Tubliss works best with a strong carcass tire for off road (MX may be very different with fewer rocks) where you can really air the thing down to get it's full benefit (MT43 trials tire is excellent). I've been using it here in super rocky New England with an old, beat MT16 knobby that's really worn down, has had the front edges recut with a knobby knife, run at 6-7psi and it's amazing and has held air perfectly (I also do run a tire sealant). Who needs a trials tire when you can get away with that??? Would I use it for a Six Days??? I don't think so unless you do some serious testing before hand with those FIM approved tires that need to used in the event. Yeah, changes are easy and you can run it flat if the "inner" liner tube is holding air ok but it's 2 variables to F up that the mousse doesn't have.

I thought I read someplace that Tubliss was coming out with a new stronger liner setup. Might want to call Jeff a Nutech and ask about it.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:32 PM

I don't know about the run flat thing ...
I know two racers in New england that slash cut the side wall of their front tires on sharp rocks and couldn't ride effectively with the flat front tire. Not a racer but I would not go isde with something like that.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:44 PM

This is exactly why I'm testing them. Bib Mousse is my plan still, but if I can run the TuBliss, I'll try it with the foams as a back up. I did a 90 mile ride in the desert (desert in Oregon, there's still trees). Ran them at 8 psi and pounded the heck out of them in the lava rock. They performed very well, but this was with a fairly tough tire. I'm going to try them with some fim legal tires and give that a try too. I think I'll have to go back to the dez for a real test, because the conditions here are pretty technical, and you don't get going near as fast for near as long.

Jeff at Neutech has been very positive with me and my feedback, he knows I'm giving them the shakedown. He told me the hot setup for Dakar was to inflate the liner to spec, bead the tire, then pull the core out and running 0 psi. How wierd is that?

On tires: I have enjoyed running trials tires, they work good most places, but a trials tire would not work at the ISDE. In 2006 in NZ there was a 40km road ride before you got to the first trail out of the Parc Ferme. That would equal one dead trials tire.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 10-20-2009, 07:47 PM

I forgot to thank Speedy for his tire changer plans. They are nicely drawn. I'm going to modify it though, because it'll cost me about $120 for all the materials. I'm a farm boy remember, so I ordered an inexpensive ($60) "portable" tire changing ring (it folds in on itself) similar to a Zip TY unit. I'll weld it up strong and add the bead depresser. That'll save me some money and building time.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 10-21-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
Jeff at Neutech has been very positive with me and my feedback, he knows I'm giving them the shakedown. He told me the hot setup for Dakar was to inflate the liner to spec, bead the tire, then pull the core out and running 0 psi. How wierd is that?

I know that once the bead has seated properly there is no need to run the liner anywhere near the 110psi. It will hold just fine at much lower pressure but 0 psi I dont get. Is that just for sand riding. Please explain that a bit more.

Wouldn't suggest a trials tire for Six Days but the Pirelli MT43 holds up no problem to extended road sections. That and the Mitas are the only ones to really do that.

Good luck with your Six Day attempt.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:26 PM

Tires 101 for the ISDE.

Step 1. Get ISDE tire order form from Metzeler.

Step 2. Fill out order form. Get Metzeler Six Days Extreme tires in the proper size for your motorcycle (E1 bikes - 120/90, E2/E3 bikes - 140/80). Depending on the plan/budget, I recommend trophy riders get 6 fronts and 6 rear tires while most average club riders can go with 3 fronts and 5 rear tires. For mousses, order the correct size for the tire (don't stick a 120 mousse in a 140 tire) and for quantity get 2 front and 2 rear mousses.

Step 3. Forget about anything tire related except learning how to change them quickly.

Step 4. Show up at ISDE. Walk to Metzeler pits. Give Wolfgang cash for tires/mousses. Ask Wolfgang for the special tire package. Load tires and mousses on Metzeler scooter. Ride in style back to your pits.

Step 5. Enjoy racing one of the oldest international motorcycle competitions in the world, and don't worry about your tires for the entire event.

*Sorry if I offend anyone with this post, but this is the best tire program for most ISDE racers. This is the recommended tire program for the average (and not so average) ISDE racer.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac View Post
Tires 101 for the ISDE.

Step 1. Get ISDE tire order form from Metzeler.

*Sorry if I offend anyone with this post, but this is the best tire program for most ISDE racers. This is the recommended tire program for the average (and not so average) ISDE racer.
You know what's funny. I've been offered a Dunlop deal, and I was on the phone with them today discussing their recommendation for FIM tires for the ISDE. He told me, "most of our riders do Metzler tires at the ISDE." Dunlop doesn't have a tire developed for FIM. They do have two legal tires, but they are dual sport tires, so, no va.

Unfortunately, I'm sure that Metzler deal is no where near free. Oh, well. What's a few hundred bucks when you're spending $15k?
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 10-22-2009, 12:59 AM

It's probably going to be $700-1000 for tires and mousses for the ISDE. It sucks, but that's part of racing the ISDE. At least Mexico will be cheap for travel and accomodation.