Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 03-19-2007, 04:40 AM

Default Ohlins 46mm valving for use with spiked tire

Hi!

I have figured out the valving of this fork with normal tires (thanks to KTMLew..!) but it is still harsh in rocks and roots when using spiked tires which are heavier than normal and have a much stiffer frame.

I thought it was ok because it was working ok and I was surviving through really ugly terain and finishing all the races until now. Last week I tried a KTM250 2T 06 (having the same front tire) and then I realized that I was being beaten all the time from my Ohlins... The valving I had from autumn was like this: (3) 20mm
10 (double thickness).

Sometime ago I tried (and I was happy..) removing the 18mm shim out and adding a bit oil. Better and I left it there. After the KTM ride, I went to the following stack:
(3) 20
12 (double thickness... the old base shim..)
10 (double thickness)

A bit better but still I didn't like it... I was feeling in a bad way all the small/medium sharp stones. I tried all the range of the external clicker.. It was best at 6 klicks out (20 max).

Somehow the first three 20mm shims don't work well with this tire. Yesterday I tried:
(2) 20mm
10. Too soft transmitting everything to my hands.

Today I will try:
(1) 20mm
(2) 20
12 (double thickness.. I don't have any other..)
10 (base)

What do you think? Can you suggest something? In less than 2 weeks I have the most important race of my life... 3 days, 1000 kms, 25 special stages and with most of the snow melted all the rocks and roots are waiting for me...

Leon

Please help me! Lew?

Old 03-27-2007, 05:16 AM

Hi!

The last revalving of the fork was spot on with 13 clicks out on reb and 14 out on compression...

It's amazing what problems a non-correctly adjusted rear shock can cause! An experienced friend noticed immediatelly that generally the rear shock was too stiff causing the fork to feel harsh. He played with the rear Sachs (great quality and very adjustable..!) and now the bike is perfect (without adjusting anything in the fork)! Shoft and great in whoops and rocks without bottoming! And no more hard seat! Before sending the rear shock for revalving make sure you now how to use the external clickers. I didn't... I was too much concetrated on the fork.

Leon