Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Brake upgrades? Oversize kits?

Switching to an 05 Gas Gas 250 after a few years on KTMs. What can I do to get better front brakes? The Gas Gas is a very low hour bike and the brakes work properly but they're nothing like what I'm used to (the last KTM was newer than this 05 so maybe it's not a fair comparison). Does anyone offer an oversize front brake kit? Is there a certain brand pad that works better (more friction) than the OEM pads? I've seen Galfer wave rotors but I'm assuming they are the same size as stock and I'm not sure there is any performance benefit (even though they look cool).

Old 01-15-2011, 02:40 PM

have you tried bleeding them, put new brake fluid in the system?
do'nt think they can be that much worse then your previous bike so you would have to put an oversize rotor,unless you're riding supermoto?
Old 01-15-2011, 03:28 PM

I know what you mean. My 03 GG EC200 takes more force on the lever to really get aggressive with the brakes. When I bought my 09 Husky which has brakes that are the same as KTM one finger lightly on the lever would stand it on it's nose. I don't think the GG lacks braking power but it does take more force on the lever which IMO makes it a little easier to control without sliding the tires.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:51 AM

[QUOTE=lankydoug;55063]I know what you mean. My 03 GG EC200 takes more force on the lever to really get aggressive with the brakes. When I bought my 09 Husky which has brakes that are the same as KTM one finger lightly on the lever would stand it on it's nose. I don't think the GG lacks braking power but it does take more force on the lever which IMO makes it a little easier to control without sliding the tires.[/QUOT

I agree that.

When it hurts you know you're allive!

Gas Gas EC 300 Factory Racing 2012
- Ohlins TTX both front and rear
- Rekluse Core EXP 2.0 + Rekluse clutch basket
- Scalvini full exhaust system
- S3 Head
- Trusty adjustable PV cover

That was ultimate setup for me...
Now trying something else for a while...
Old 01-17-2011, 01:30 PM

Think I'm going to try different pads first, that's a cheap experiment and if it doesn't help well then I'll have an extra set of front brake pads. I would find a complete late model KTM front brake set up if it would bolt up but I'm 99% sure it won't - I'll check this week. I hate to give up those one finger nose wheelies.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:59 PM

The front Gasser disc is a 270mm standard isn't it? This is considered larger than most.

Try a wave disc, it will wear your pads harder but be more agressive. Make sure the slider pins on the calipers are lubed to. What brand pads do you use?
Old 01-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Some years didn't have a steel braid line - I would start with that and bleed them well.

jeff
Old 01-17-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Some years didn't have a steel braid line - I would start with that and bleed them well.

jeff
Good point, stock hose may not be steel braided on it.....
Old 01-17-2011, 11:19 PM
Administrator

I looked on gofasters website because they used to list a slightly longer front brake hose; I don't see it, you might want to give them a call.

I know les at ltr has a few steel braid front lines left over that he wants to close out. He isn't selling parts any longer and is focusing on his suspesion work. He also has a few stainless steel wheel spacers, etc

On the pads, the oem nissin pads have great feel but others have higher friction and are more grabby if that is what you prefer.

Jeff
Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I looked on gofasters website because they used to list a slightly longer front brake hose; I don't see it, you might want to give them a call.

I know les at ltr has a few steel braid front lines left over that he wants to close out. He isn't selling parts any longer and is focusing on his suspesion work. He also has a few stainless steel wheel spacers, etc

On the pads, the oem nissin pads have great feel but others have higher friction and are more grabby if that is what you prefer.

Jeff
Lots of good info, thanks. I definitely see if Les still has a front line, I'm trying to get in touch with him now about sending my suspension to him for a revalve, he could send me the brake line back with the suspension.