Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Kickstarter issues

I'm having a moment here. We rode July 4th and each time I'd kick start my bike the starter (YZ Kickstarter) would catch on my frame guards. This has never happened before. My dilemma is this. What in the world could wear out inside the mechanism? There are no bearings. I've had two other Gassers with the stock kickstarters, and never ever had a problem with the starter getting loose or wobbly or anything of the sort. I realize I probably wouldn't even notice it if there weren't frame guards on the bike, because the guards are closer to the starter than without. Plus, the YZ starter is thicker at the base.

So here's the question..... What should I be looking for inside to see what could be worn out? Or should I be focusing on the pivot and the kickstarter?

Old 07-06-2007, 10:41 AM

I'd look for a change in the mounting of the frame guard - versus the kickstarter position. Is the sub-frame snug? Did the guard get tweaked a little - maybe a few whacks with a friendly rubber mallet will put things back into shape... The kickstarter (and the bike itself) have very little time on them. I should know - it used to be my bike!

Given that, is the kickstart mounting bolt tight? The first thing that would wear would be the contact surface between the aluminum kick arm and the kickstart knuckle. Given that you have access to a mill, etc. - Look here for wear and, if necessary, insert a steel plate so that it is steel to steel versus steel to aluminum at this contact point.

jeff
Old 07-06-2007, 12:06 PM

That bike lived a pampered life as an LTR model and development platform.

Are you saying the starter is loose/has play? CRD guards right? I'll bet the guard got tweaked.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:17 PM

I checked the guard while I was out (CRD, yes). We were too busy riding, and everything seemed fine. When we finally got back to the truck, I tugged on the starter, and there seemed to be just a little bit of play. Perhaps it is loose at the bolt, I'll check that too. Another anomaly that I didn't mention, is that the kickstarter also started to stick on it's way out, meaning the pivot. I'll certainly be checking there. Now that I'm thinking of it, the problem likely lies in the pivot. I certainly was geared for the worst while I was out. I was very hot, and my head was cooked, so I'll excuse myself for my own stupidity. I'll post here when I figure it out.

Jeff, tentatively planning a trip to Willamina. Let me know what weekend coming up is best for you.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Fixed, and important info.

Alright, my head has been removed from my nether regions, and here's the scoop.

The Yamaha kickstarter is shallower on the splines, ever so slightly than the Gas Gas. It fits fine, but there is a microscopic amount of play, which got looser over time, and was causing my problem. What I did to fix it was to fill the gap between the back side of the starter, and the raised boss on the shaft. I happened to have a copper washer in my junk drawer, and I drilled it out to fit. It is now acting as a shim, and it should fix the problem permanently. Thanks for the replies. At least it gave me an excuse to post here!
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs