Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 08-30-2012, 08:53 PM

Default rev limiter on 2005 450 FSE?

Well, have about 650 miles now and have been very gentle on her. I also have not worn a helmet during this time as I wanted to hear the motor. Today I put on the helmet and went for a ride and decided to run her a little hard. I wound her out and experienced a "missing or cutting out" at full throttle and high rpm. Went away as soon as I backed off slightly. It felt like I had hit a rev limiter. With the helmet it was hard to judge the rpm as the bike sounded different than I was used to. It felt and sounded like a rev limiter but I have no idea if the thing has one!? Got back home, shed the helmet and went for a ride...rode her hard, no missing but I could hear the engine and doubt I ran her as hard.

Any feelings on this fellas? Did I just hit a rev limiter or was she actually missing?

Ed

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged
Search for the wife's new bike has ended, lowered the 450 and 300....she's got a choice now! We're good!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Probably hit the rev limiter. Be sure and unplug the blue/yellow wire at the ecu to put it to the richer setting.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:04 PM

Thanks again, Nick. It felt like a limiter but I did not know if it actually has one. The wire is unplugged and even has little caps on each end .

With the helmet on it was so quiet and smooth it is quite possible I ran it to the limit. I'm very easy on my bikes and cars. I even use the clutch! But I may very well have simply over revved it.

Ed

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged
Search for the wife's new bike has ended, lowered the 450 and 300....she's got a choice now! We're good!
Old 08-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Easy to do in the lower gears with the smile on
Old 08-31-2012, 09:49 AM

It's a long time since I disassembled the ecu code but from memory the limit is set at 9k5? What did the tacho read?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:49 AM

Qui-gon, it has a tach? Nothing in my book about one and my speedo looks like the one on my 300. Is it a function of that unit I have not found? Now you got me curious!

My guess is that it was spinning pretty good and I was not used to not hearing it wail so I over revved it. I did not let it happen again.

Rode around w/o helmet (eye protection always) and never got close to winding it up since I could hear the engine.

It never quit pulling until it hit that limit. I also was on the road. I'd never run it that hard in the woods and probably that was as hard as I have run it since I got it.

Since you guys verified it does have a limiter I'm pretty sure I just took it all the way.

I have been breaking it in and for a lot longer than the book says. No lugging, no high RPM, varying speeds, heating it up and letting it cool completely. Putting just a few miles at a time on it...you know a tank of gas worth

Thanks guys, for the info.
Ed

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged
Old 08-31-2012, 01:51 PM

Hadn't noticed your sig says 05. No mention of a tach in the handbook under the trip meter stuff but strangely they refer to the instrument on p61 as a tachometer!
Old 08-31-2012, 03:21 PM

Well, I'll be darned if they don't call it that!!!!!

As much as I love my Gasser's I am amazed they give us the "side stand from Hell" so I'm not surprised or upset at anything I run across A tach would be nice but I can live without it. Just glad to know I probably just banged the limiter....sure felt like that!

Thanks again for the replies!
Ed

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged