Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:17 AM

Default skipping gear.

Took my 02 ec200 out for a play today and got this problem.

After about 20kms I changed up into 3rd (i think) and the bike started making clunking noises and it felt like the chain was slipping. So I limped back to the car, and tightened the chain, although not much as it didn't seem that loose.

Went out again and it was still doing it, 1st fine, 2nd fine, but when in third it clunks, and feels like it's jumping between 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, when I select 3rd and open the throttle a fair bit.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Old 02-17-2008, 07:23 AM

Worn dogs on 3rd gear most likely, or bent shift fork causing it to jump out of gear under power. Drain the oil, any metal? In any case surgery will be required.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:06 PM

As usuall Glen is probably right on this one. Clunking noises are never good and rarely cheap to rectify. My tranny failure summer before last was on an 02 tranny( the only year with the questionable cryo treatment).

Good luck and if you need a tranny start looking for a used engine the tranny alone was $900 new. I sold RTT a used 200 bottom end a couple years ago perhaps he still has it.

Paul B
Old 02-17-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Worn dogs on 3rd gear most likely, or bent shift fork causing it to jump out of gear under power. Drain the oil, any metal? In any case surgery will be required.

If this a hard job to sort out? Manage to do most bit's myself, but I've never attacked this area. I was thinking of using a clymer manual for a similar bike(don't think they did one for a gasgas).
Old 02-18-2008, 11:20 PM

A clymer why? Download the GG shop manual for a newer bike and darn near everything is spelled out with pictures of a bike almost identical to yours. It is about as involved job you can get on one of these bikes, however very manageable, I have split the cases several times now and I am a hack mechanic.

Paul B
Old 02-19-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEB View Post
A clymer why? Download the GG shop manual for a newer bike and darn near everything is spelled out with pictures of a bike almost identical to yours. It is about as involved job you can get on one of these bikes, however very manageable, I have split the cases several times now and I am a hack mechanic.

Paul B
Thanks, where do I download it from????
Old 02-19-2008, 01:40 AM

http://www.gasgas.com/manuals/ec_shopmanual_06.pdf from the gg website
Old 02-19-2008, 07:18 AM

FWIW, the '02 internals are basically the same, just the case castings are different on the '05+ bikes to eliminate the old counterbalancer space and save some weight.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:39 PM

thanks very much for your help so far guys.

Had a look at the manual, and there is a couple of nits that look tricky and I was wondering if I could get some advice.

The fastening nut for the clutch hub, how do you stop the clucth spinning without damaging anything?

And I don't have the extractor thing for separating/splitting the cases, do I really need one? Is there another way without damaging anything?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2008, 11:15 PM

I stuff the jug with nylon rope( making sure the piston is up past the exhaust port) to keep the crank locked in place. I f you have the side cover off, which you will to split the cases you can take a stack of clutch plates and discs secured with a vise grip and hold the basket in place to remove the hub nut. I even have a small stack of lod ones you could have for the cost of shipping if you don't want to muck up the ones in your bike. You don't need a caser splitter once everything is dissasembled a couple light taps with a rubber malet or dead blow will do the intiall split of the cases.

With the manual, this message board and some patience you will do fine.

Paul B