Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:21 AM

Default Desert Setup

Looking for tips for a 100 mile desert race coming up. The race is two 50 mile laps. I hardly ever do riding like this so I have a couple questions. Will my stock 02 tank hold enough fuel for 50 mile laps? Currently my gearing is 13/49, should it be taller? How about tire psi? I normally run 12-13 how high can I go? Would 16-18 be unreasonable? What about filter oil? Because of the potential for lots of dust and about 1000 riders I am after maximum filter protection any I deas?

Thanks In advance,

Paul B

Old 03-21-2008, 09:01 PM

For your airfilter, maybe try some of those Filter Skins? Just to help with dust, and at the end of a lap whip them off or something. Might be a bit fiddly if you havent got the quick access door.

I dont know about the other stuff

'03 GasGas EC200 My bike
'89 Yamaha TT250 R.I.P - Lost in the Black Saturday Fires
Old 03-21-2008, 09:30 PM

Would this be the Desert 100 in Odessa, WA? If so, I'll be there too!

Here's my tips:
-yes, your stock tank should be fine. If you're really worried, duct tape a 1 litre bottle to your front number plate.
-Maxxis Desert IT tires with heavy duty tubes and slime at 14PSI. The Desert 100 is known to cause lots of flat tires. I run tire balls so I'm not worried.
-your gearing will be fine. I'm trying to decide between 13/49 and 13/50. I ran 13/50 in Chile and found it pretty good, but a little low for miles of sand whoops so I might throw my 49 tooth rear sprocket on. This will also move my rear wheel back farther with my current chain which will help in wide open desert.
-I'd run a filter skin or else plan on changing filters after your first lap. I'm still debating which route I'll choose since filter skins don't fit the 07/08 gassers too well. It did work for me in Chile which was extremely dusty.

-giv'er off the start since there is so many riders. If you're buried in the pack it makes for a tough race. Some of my buddies have been in the top 10 off the start and say it makes life a lot easier.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:54 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I am not gonna make it to the dez. Unfortunately the opening NMA Sparkplug enduro and the Dez 100 conflict this year.

Typically the Stumpjumpers will have you put a number sticker on your front plate so you may have to find a different spot to stow a bit of extra fuel.

I don't know what type of terrain you typically ride but the speeds you are able to obtain here means you probably will need to stiffen your suspension up a couple clicks. Riding the poker run the day before is great for fine tuning.

As mentioned filter skins are a must as well as intermediate tires.

Make sure your brakes are the best they can be.

Ride smart and be aware! There are things in the desert that will put you on your head before you even know that your down. I'm speaking from total experience I went down at a high rate of speed and broke my leg racing in Odessa last year, I was lucky.

Good luck guys and most of all have fun!

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:38 PM

i'm hopin to be able to make it down from bc canada eh as well this year. i'm glad to hear thar 2 smokes are a good weapon down there!
Old 03-24-2008, 07:26 AM

I use twin air filters and oil and we never have to change a filter during a race. We dont use filter skins either. I use a bib mousse in a Dunlop 756 in front and a Dunlop desert AT in the rear with a heavy tube and 5-6 psi and i dont flat.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I use twin air filters and oil and we never have to change a filter during a race. We don't use filter skins either.
I'm guessing thats cause your out front not sucking dust. The vast majority Of the Odessa area is pretty silty and filter skins cant hurt.

At last years White knuckle in Odessa many motors blew from excessive silt. I heard some 450's actually sucked their filters inside out they got so plugged up. When I took mine off the bike it weight like 5 lbs. Granted this race was held at a site above the town not where the Dez 100 is held which is much more rocky but still dusty.

when i was down in the Mojave I was impressed at how little dust there was. It was just in certain areas that were bad. The sandy soil isn't that fine so most times it wasn't airborne to long.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!