Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:43 PM

Default Hmm, should I change to the DE300?

So, I just picked up my first GasGas 250 a few weeks ago link. I think I've finally decided it is an '01 XC model, but that is still to be determined for sure!

Anyway, I've really been enjoying it, but now I have the opportunity to pick up a really nice 2003 GG DE300. I think this GG thing is getting addictive. Now, I owned an '01 KTM300 in the past and it was one of my favorite bikes and before getting the GG250. I pretty much had my mind set on getting another KTM300 when I started shopping this time around, until I rode a GG and changed my mind. My riding is pretty much at a local off-road riding park which consists of some really technical single track trail riding. Overall, I think I like the low end grunt the 300 provides and why I'm after it. I will say though that this 250 has totally amazed me at how well it does in the really tight stuff and I haven't even re-geared it like I want to.

From what I know so far, the DE300 has the upgraded Ohlin's forks & suspension that were offered that year. The bike is owned by someone I know, but it hasn't had much use in the past few years. I know he used it for racing for a season or two and had it all setup to start his '07 season with new tires, top end, new chain/sprockets, all new bearings, etc. At the last minute, he got an offer for a brand new Husky WR250 and decided to run it in his 07 season instead. The GG has only been ridden once since then, so it will probably definitely need a carb cleaning. Do you see any reason to worry that it's been sitting that long? He's offering a bunch of extras with it also including a Scott's damper.

What kind of differences can I expect between my '01 XC 250 and the '03 DE 300?

If I do really enjoy the 300, I really don't see a reason to keep the 250, so it might go on the chopping block. We'll see.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

The 300 will feel stronger right off idle. I've owned a 200, 250, and 300, and am now on another 250. There isn't a lot of difference between the 250 and 300 once you get past about 1/8 throttle, or above the low end grunt. I doubt the HP numbers are even any different.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 12-22-2009, 10:18 AM

The Ohlins suspension is definitely a step up from just about everything else (even given the fact it's several years old).

We had an '05 DE 200 with the Ohlins front and rear. It was
really outstanding on the tight, technical trails we ride (we're in N. Alabama and have likely ridden the park you refer to in your post).

Our current GG is an '08 DE 300. The Marzocchi forks and Sachs shock on the bike have both been revalved by LTR and work great, but certainly no better than, if even as well as, the stock Ohlins set-up on the 200.

IMO, the Ohlins suspension will keep you hooked up and in control better than just about anything else available.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
The Ohlins suspension is definitely a step up from just about everything else (even given the fact it's several years old).

We had an '05 DE 200 with the Ohlins front and rear. It was
really outstanding on the tight, technical trails we ride (we're in N. Alabama and have likely ridden the park you refer to in your post).

Our current GG is an '08 DE 300. The Marzocchi forks and Sachs shock on the bike have both been revalved by LTR and work great, but certainly no better than, if even as well as, the stock Ohlins set-up on the 200.

IMO, the Ohlins suspension will keep you hooked up and in control better than just about anything else available.
Yeah probably the same park. Highland Park right on the GA/AL border?

Cool, I'm going to go look at the bike early next week, but I think I'm pretty sure I'll pick it up.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Site Sponsor

i've been to highland park a few times. i brought a trials bike last time. it made the park surprisingly easy....it was like cheating.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post

I agree with this. If I were searching for a GG on the used market, the Ohlins suspension front/rear would be the clincher for me. It makes a bigger difference than the engine size for sure. I loved my Ohlins. I just hope Les @ LTR can make my Sachs/Zoke's work as well.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 12-22-2009, 01:11 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but, what led you to the conclusion that the Ohlins worked so well? I know what it is for me, but I wonder if it's the same across the board.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 01-17-2010, 07:59 AM

So I did end up getting the '03 DE300. The previous owner had purchased it new in 2003. I even got the MSO and all the paper work from that. In 2007, he switched to a Husky WR250 and it pretty much sat since then, so I had to do carb cleaning on it.

It does have the nicer Ohlin's suspension, but unfortunately the other owner was only 150lbs so no where near stiff enough for my 230lbs frame. Any idea what size springs front and rear I should be looking for for 230lbs?

I finally got the first opportunity to go play on it yesterday at our local off road park.

Comparing it to the '01 XC250, the 300 feels like it has more power, but is very controllable, but the 300 also has a fresh top end which I'm sure helps make it feel like it has more power. The 300 is able to come out of lower RPM better then the 250 which I expected, but what I didn't expect was that I was actually better at lugging the 250 in say 2nd gear up hills. (Just for comparison, the 250 is geared 13/49 & the 300 is geared 13/50 so not much difference there). I can ride the 250 right above a stall speed no problem. On the 300 though, I was stalling the 300 a lot and getting frustrated doing it. It just seemed to stall when I wasn't expecting it. I believe this DE/EC has the heavier flywheel and ignition, so I was expecting it to lug better then the 250, but I found it just the opposite? The jetting may need to be tweaked though too. When I pulled the jets to clean them, the main was a 185 and the pilot was a 48? That pilot seems a little big? It has been colder down here in GA and we've been riding in anywhere from 30-45 degree's weather wise. I don't have any spare jets to try different settings yet though.

Here are some pics. This is the 300 in the garage just like I bought it

Old 01-17-2010, 08:00 AM

Here's the trailer pics getting ready to ride at the park. I took the tall seat off my 250 and since this bike had a red seat, it actually matches my 250 much better, plus the tall seat fits me better. I guess I need another one. Not sure why the owner chose to order a red headlight and red seat cover? I have the paperwork showing he did that also. I really don't like the bar setup on this one as much. The 250 has a fat bar setup with risers, but I can't move that to the 300 without sacrificing the Scott's stabilizer.

My wife rides the KX100. She's brand new to 2T, but is catching on quick. We put a 12oz Steahly FWW on her's, plus lowered the gearing and it really made it a nice tractor like bike.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Give Les at LT-Racing a call for your suspension questions. He is a sponsor here - you can find his website at www.lt-racing.com. You can use the spring rate calculator from race-tech's website for a kx250 to get a general idea of the spring rates you need - but I would talk to Les as well.

On the jetting - the 48 pilot is not too rich if the needle is leaner. If it were me - I would send both the carb and the cylinder head to Ron at RB-Designs. The squish band is typically set up "loose" - the engine will run more efficiently if he dials it in for you. There is a good tech article on the website here : http://www.gasgasrider.org/html/measuring_squish.html You can find more info on measure the squish on Ron's website here - http://www.rb-designs.com/squish-band-test.htm

On the carb - the motor has enough time on it where I would have Ron replace the nozzle in the carb - it wears and makes it hard to jet... His website is at www.rb-designs.com.

Jeff