Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:50 PM

Default Metal shavings in oil

Last week i noticed my Rekluse clutch was slipping slightly. I stopped riding and headed home. Today I went to adjust it and there was all sorts of small shavings in the oil. I don't think they are metal because I tried with a magnet. Their was a little bit of metal shavings on the drain plug but nothing out of the ordinary. I pulled the clutch apart and everything looks perfect besides all the small metal shavings. The steels are not worn and the fibers were at 2.76 average. Behind the basket looks like to motor is brand new. Any idea's what to look at next??

This is still the best bike I have ever had and I have had many. All bikes brake from time to time.

Last edited by mikemoto; 08-29-2011 at 07:38 AM. Reason: I wanted to state my love for Gas Gas

Old 08-28-2011, 05:16 PM

After looking a little further I found the problem. My clutch basket is broken in two place's. Between the fins are little connecters on all but two, that would be normal, I have two that are missing for a total of 4 fin connecters missing. I can see that they broke off. Has anyone had any issues with the basket on a rekluse clutch?
Old 08-28-2011, 07:19 PM

It's the webbing between the fins, two are missing and 5 others are cracked. Even if I get a new clutch basket, how much damage has all those shavings done? First enduro of the season down here this Sunday. Hope I make it.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

I would pull the inner clutch side cover off and inspect for shavings. There are casting webs in the side cases that do a good job of trapping metal shavings.

You will need to find the missing webbing before they cause any damage.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:51 PM

Looks to me like they were ground up pretty good.