Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:22 PM

Default head gasket??

hello all, i recently bought a used 2011 ec250 6 days. over the fall i put maybe 4 hours on it and found it ran a little off. i checked the bottom end and joy of joys found antifreeze... then drained and purged my radiator and found oil in it. almost a good thing hoping that narrows it down to head gasket. thus my question. i was informed that there are two sizes? not sure if thats right or not but if so can someone point me in the right direction and tell me what i need?? thanks for the help guys (ps preferably a US distributor as shipping would be cheaper and faster)

Old 02-17-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
hello all, i recently bought a used 2011 ec250 6 days. over the fall i put maybe 4 hours on it and found it ran a little off. i checked the bottom end and joy of joys found antifreeze... then drained and purged my radiator and found oil in it. almost a good thing hoping that narrows it down to head gasket. thus my question. i was informed that there are two sizes? not sure if thats right or not but if so can someone point me in the right direction and tell me what i need?? thanks for the help guys (ps preferably a US distributor as shipping would be cheaper and faster)

There shouldn't be 2 different sizes. Maybe what they meant is there are 2 o-rings that you will need and each one is a different size. Give a dealer a call and they will hook you up. I would suggest Matto Cycle or Halls Cycles.

Also GasGas is kind of know to have the water pump seal fail which will create the exact issue you described. Just something to keep in mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2017, 06:56 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Agreed on the waterpump seal failure. Head o-ring would boil out coolant as well as consume it, but not as likely to mix the oil and water as the waterpump seal as the pump seal separates the gear box oil from the coolant and the head o-rings separate the combustion chamber from the coolant.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:00 AM

...and if you're replacing the cylinder base gasket(s) you should do a squish test. Often you will be better off with a thinner gasket or none at all (just some Yamabond 4).
Old 02-17-2017, 07:59 PM

ok sounds good thanks guys. for the waterpump seal would that be all i need to get or do i need other gaskets? any links to vids maybe? sorry for all the questions just tryin to do this right.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

You will need the right side engine cover gasket and coolant pump gasket.
I would also replace the coolant pump shaft bearings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlMbF2f4Tt0
Old 02-24-2017, 02:59 PM

ok another question guys. i decided while i have the top end apart to throw on new cylinder rings i did some research and my 2011 should take 66.4 but i was wondering if anyone can verify? thanks again for all the help!!
Old 02-25-2017, 05:33 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
The earlier models, like my '01 XC200 take the smaller o rings for the head, later models like your '11 take the larger o rings. I think the change came around '04 or '05.

RB