Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:02 AM

Default Shifting issues

This may have been covered before in this forum, but I cant find info on the specfic procedure for fixing my shifting problem on an 06 ec300. I have read to remove burrs on "scorpion". Can anyone give me specfic directions how to do this? My bike will sometimes not shift higher than third and the return spring seems to be slow in returning the shifter. Any info or pics of how to fix this would be appreciated. Thanks Keith

Old 01-26-2011, 01:30 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by koka-nee View Post
This may have been covered before in this forum, but I cant find info on the specfic procedure for fixing my shifting problem on an 06 ec300. I have read to remove burrs on "scorpion". Can anyone give me specfic directions how to do this? My bike will sometimes not shift higher than third and the return spring seems to be slow in returning the shifter. Any info or pics of how to fix this would be appreciated. Thanks Keith
The shifting linkage is behind the right side case cover, you'll have to pull that off possibly the clutch basket to remove the shifter shaft and linkage...that's all you can polish without splitting the cases.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:53 AM

Remove the shifter and clean the exposed shaft very well. Pull the side cover and clutch, and you can remove the shifter shaft assy from that side by pulling it through the cases. Note the assy of the parts for reassembly. The fork is welded on the arm, both it and the sliding "scorpion" are stamped steel parts. There is possibly a slight distortion(from the stamping or welding), maybe some weld spatter, and sharp edges. Clean up the latter two with a fine file and some scotchbrite. Check straightness of the sliding surfaces and and clamp the parts in a vise or strike with a hammer between two pieces of flat stock to correct if neccessary. The assy has to slide very smooth. I've done this on all three of my bikes as PM during initial setup. It was common a few years back but from what I can tell is unheard of the last couple years, so I guess QC on this assy has improved. Not a big deal anyway. The other thing is that the assy sits low in case and any debri that settles there could foul it, especially if its borderline sticky to start with.

Somewhere in my many USB drives I have pics of this I took when I replaced my starter gears two years ago. I'll try and find them but for now refer to the manual.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
The other thing is that the assy sits low in case and any debri that settles there could foul it
definitely - if you break a friction plate or there's any debris in the clutch side, it will end up against the shift selector/wedging itself against the shifter and the case. and make it impossible/very difficult to shift... it is very diffcult to see this debris due to the case design unless you remove the inner clutch cover. just removing the outer clutch cover will not easily allow access to it.

you mentioned that it's slow to return - i would check the shift shaft for straightness and make sure it's smooth/not rubbing somewhere - the spring should snap it back into position easily.

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com