Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Banned

Default Raced or Ridden in All 50 States?

My son, Zachary, is graduating from high school next weekend. He turned 18 last week. Last night we went to a gathering at the school where all of the seniors were recognized in one way or another (grades, character, sports). The teacher who spoke about my son mentioned that he had raced all over the US. That started me thinking about how many states he had raced in with me. Then that started me thinking about how many states I had raced in and then how many states we had visited going to races. The best I can figure, I have visited all of the states but Alaska and raced in 25 of those. Zachary, at 18 years old, has visited 40 states and raced in 20 of them. I'm pretty sure there's not a kid in his school that has travelled as much as he has.

He and I have spent a lot of quality time together racing and traveling to races. We've had the chance to talk about a lot of things that kids and parents don't get to discuss. A lot of times there has been someone with us but quite often it has been just the two of us. I think it was in 2009 that we went out to the National Enduros in Wyoming and Montana. I was working for Husaberg then so went through Texas and Oklahoma to see some dealers on the way. Zachary had just turned 15 but did not have his learner's permit. We got on I-70 in Kansas and my GPS said the next turn was in 438 miles. I pulled over and said "Hey....your turn to drive!". He drove us all of the way to the hotel in Colorado Springs.

That same year we got up to the race site in Montana on Thursday. KTM had a trail ride planned for Friday that I wanted to do. On Thursday afternoon Mike Lafferty let Zach borrow his 690 Adventure and he was gone for hours riding the dirt roads in the area. He still talks about how much fun we had on that trip.

Now I have a new goal. I want to race with my son in the 48 states on the continental US. It may take a while but I think we can pull it off.

Have any of you ever done this? Do you know of anyone who has raced or even ridden in all fifty states? Of course I mean off road. Pavement doesn't count!

Clay

Old 05-16-2012, 11:35 AM

My son (18) and I (53) are in a parallel universe. Not sure on our grand total but we've hit a lot of states. Quality time, all of it!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:28 PM

We drove 4600 km in one trip last summer driving my daughter to the races. We have done half a dozen long drives for her to race a Canadian MX National. Usually with one or both of her siblings. Good times on those road trips for sure. http://www.dualsport.ca/forum/forum_...s-mx-nationals
Not to mention all the driving around Atlantic Canada we have done over the last 10 years racing MX. Like you Clay we have spent many hours together on the road and I would never trade it for anything. She is the only kid at school that can name every highway exit within 4 hours of home.

Awesome goal to have and I hope you achieve it!
Old 05-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I have been in every state but North Dakota in the United States.

The only racing I did was road racing In Washington, Oregon and Florida (Daytona). Watched races at many tracks aroudn the US.

Last summer did the ride through BC, Alaksa, Yukon, Alberta (about 5000 miles round trip) camping each day over 11 days with my wife and another couple that are very good friends of ours. We road a Yamaha FJR 1300 towing a Bushtec trialer. Here is are a couple of pictures:

NE BC with some of the wildlife.

entering Hyder Alaska (the bike on the left was on a 4 month trip that started at the tip of South America and was headed to Prudoe Bay)

Motorcycling of any kind is a great way to connect with family and firends and spend some great time together. We try to do at least one trip somewhere over a 10-11 day period each summer.

If you should need a place to stay near the Seattle area while on your quest, please be sure to contact me. Got plenty of room.

Some day I would like to do the Iron Butt Rally and the 4 corners ride. That will get me in all the lower 48 on a motorcycle. Need much more vacation time to do that though.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:46 AM
Banned

Tip of SA to Alaska?!!!! Holy cow! How many countries did you pass through?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Tip of SA to Alaska?!!!! Holy cow! How many countries did you pass through?
Clay, not me the rider in front left did. I don't know how many countries they passed through for sure, but it was many. They were from England and Switzerland. One was on a Suzuki Vstrom and the other on a Yamaha Super Tenere. They had their bikes shipped over for the ride. (the second bike was up ahead in the picture by the camper)

One thing for sure, motorcycling has brought many, many great memories for me and my family from the time I was a little boy and it continues. Both of my duaghters are avid dirt bike riders. My wife started riding when she was 35. She doesn't ride her dirt bike much anymore.

When the kids were too young to ride, I was road racing. We spent many great weekends at various race tracks camping and racing. It is a great time.

When the kids got old enough to start riding, we all went dirt biking. Still dirt bike alot.

I also ride a street bike, probably 95% of the time 2 up with my wife.

I can't imagine our family's life without motorcycling in it. It is an activity that brings us all together and is great fun for all.

The only down side, is it costs a lot to keep all of the bikes maintained and properly operating. But I am not complaining, as it gives me another teaching oppertunity for the kids.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:10 AM

Been in all 50, ridden offroad in 10, competed (if trials counts) in 5.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:56 PM

Raced the AMA National Harescramble series in 2002 (back then there was no east & west).
Hollister Calif., Oregon, Missouri, Maryland, PA, IN, OH, etc etc

It cost an arm & leg and best sponsor was Mastercard & Visa.
I met up (online) with a guy that wanted to do the series also (Sen. B rider) and I was in 4 stroke A class. I met him in a talk forum that had Cali. Hare scramblers on it and just posted that I would like to rent one of their bikes for the National. He replied and we soon became friends and worked out a free deal that would help us both achieve what we wanted. I flew out to Calif. stayed the night in Hotel, went to the race next morning and met up with him. Raced his backup 01YZ400 that I had never slung a leg over and did as good/bad as I was expecting. After that we raced every AMA National together. I ended up taking his backup bike home with me after the Missouri race so that he could just fly out to the eastern races, step off the plane and be racing.
We both got #1 plates that yr and I have mine in a small frame with race jersey, a few pics and sponsor stickers .

Have raced in all the GNCC's & Mid-South series...so if I had to figure I would say 17-20 states raced?
I'm just old and slow now racing local after a 10yr absence (long story) on a beat up GG200 that I have to shift to much ...lol
Old 05-17-2012, 02:57 PM

37 states at least maybe a couple more cannot remember. WALES,ITALY 2 TIMES, HOLLAND,SPAIN,POLAND,FRANCE,W.GERMANY (NOW GERMANY),AUSTALIA AND LESHOTO (roof of africa).
Old 05-17-2012, 08:04 PM

let me see....Raced offroad in Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, N. Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, Nevada, California and Mexico....thats it.