Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 12-27-2016, 05:55 AM

Default ec400 cold start issues

so i'm having little luck finding an answer using the search function here on this. dead cold my ec400 will crank, but there seems to be something taking the battery's cca away from the starter unless i jump start it with either my truck or my battery charger/tender(the tender has a 2a maintenance and 8a charge mode). i had thought the valves to be suspect(i'd like the clearance spec's if anyone knows them since the manual i got with the bike is conveniently missing the maintenance part), but off charger/jump start source the bike cranks over really slowly and acts as if something is taking amps away from the ignition. what should i look at? on charger/tender or my truck, it cranks fast just like it should. this isn't an old carb'd jap bike so i'm a little lost. also, the kickstarter is a no go. it won't let me kick it hard enough to spin the motor fast enough

Old 12-27-2016, 11:32 AM

Dead battery? :/
Old 12-27-2016, 03:48 PM

i don't think it's the battery cause it's brand new as of late october, agm, and was sitting inside for all of november and was only reinstalled after getting a new r/r almost 2 weeks ago and has been sitting with a tender since install. maybe it just doesn't have the cca that the bike needs.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:54 AM

i confirmed the battery is good today. i took it off the bike and tender last night and left it sit inside on my plastic tool box over night and went back to pacific power batteries to have it tested. it had 12.76 resting vdc and 150 cca with their testers. so i yanked the cam cover and checked the valves, and only 1 intake was a little tight. not sure since i don't have a proper mm feeler gauge. it has .152 and .127 mm leaves, and the .127 goes in, but the .152 doesn't, so that shouldn't be too far out on ONE valve to cause a hard start on a 4 valve one lung motor. so i then went through EVERY starter connection minus the key and start button connections and cleaned them including the battery ground on the engine and applying dielectric grease, and it still cranks slow, but the choke function seems to be a lot better since it seemed to be back firing through the throttle body. any suggestions as to what else to look at? could it be bad gas since i don't know exactly how old the gas is that's in the tank?
Old 01-20-2017, 12:57 PM

Near throttle you have small black switch, use when cold for starting
Old 01-20-2017, 01:02 PM

I change my starter motor to honda cbr 600 or hornet 600. its bigger and much more powerfull.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:04 PM

There seems to be a lot of evidence around the forum from a years ago that the type of issues you're talking about are alleviated by installing a manual CCT. The ACCT holds the cam chain too tight and saps rotation from the motor when the starter engages.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:51 PM

long time since I last updated, but I haven't really had time to work on this fix-n-flip project since I last posted. anyway, after some research, I did see that if the cam chain is too tight, then it'll be hard to start. and the last time that I had the head cover off, I noticed there was NO slack in the chain. so I have ordered and received a mcct, so that will be the next thing that I do to this. but like I said, once I cleaned all the connections to the starting system and the main ground that grounds out to the frame/engine(I can't remember off the top of my head, but the one from the battery), once it started it seemed to run a lot stronger. so I'm getting closer to getting this thing to cold start without being jump started
Old 04-27-2017, 03:47 AM

Try to change the brushes in the starter motor. It is same as Honda Hornet 600, I have the part numbers if you want

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2017, 08:51 AM

yngvim,

go a head and throw those p/n's at me! it'll be useful to have if the mcct doesn't help. I might just pull the starter off and clean it too. I also think I need to look into the decompressor pin on the exhaust cam since they're known to be weak on the early 400's/450's.