Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:46 AM

Head light is off of my 07 300. That was the number I ran at the WEC last year. Hopefully none of you were there. The new gg's no longer come with headlights, which is fine for the most part, although I would rather have to purchase a number plate. So far, I havn't been able to get it to kick start, but once it is done with break in, I am hoping it will start to work. Is there any tricks I need to know from you 450 guys? Oil? Fuel? Ect.? I am wondering how long the valves typically last before servicing. I am so used to riding a 250F and constantly worrying about it.

Brian

Old 02-19-2008, 09:54 AM

Nice bike! Looks like it would make a very worthy dual sport. Did the 450 get all the same upgrades as the 515?
Old 02-19-2008, 04:36 PM

Hasslbri, thanks for the report. How is the throttle response ? Does the bike have strong engine braking ? In Australia the Huskies are using a similar fuel injection system and some negative reports are popping up !
Old 02-19-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topari View Post
Does the bike have strong engine braking ?
It should have a slipper clutch, so much reduced engine braking...

"It's Nature that Brings out the Madness"
GasGas FSR450 07'
Old 02-21-2008, 08:44 PM

Guys, No slipper clutch on the 08's. I weighed it last night. Full Gas, Trelleborg Spike Tires, and Flex Bars = 275 lbs. Last year I weighed my 300 at 256 lbs. with everything but the spike tires. I don't think that is too bad.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:07 AM

Australia gets the slipper clutch and the Ohlins rear shock.
I dont think other markets get it.
I was told the Husky fuel injection is having a few problems but I think apart from both being Kokusan they are a fair bit diferant.
I hope to get a ride next week if my mate gets his.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:50 PM

Nice bike there Cheezeweener!!!!

I can't wait to take it out and flog on it!!!!

I still find it hard to believe it is better than my ol' 400 MXC....LOL!!
Old 02-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Site Sponsor

Had a chance to ride hasslbri's FSR 515 today and what an improvement over the 06 FSE 450 I've been riding on and off for the past year.

We were riding in six inches of snow with studded tires and that takes an aggressive riding style to keep it upright and in "attack mode" the bike handled extremely well. It actually flicks around like a 200 until you dump it and have to pick it up an then it feels like any other off-road 450 four-stroke.

The power delivery is very very smooth and the fuel map was perfect (at least for the 30 degree (f) air temperature.) It started hard a couple of times, usually after a crash, but always lit up after a couple of stabs at the e-button.

I rode a studded KTM 520 EXC a couple of winters ago and I still remember how much of a handful it was in the snow. The GG 515 is definately easier to handle under those same conditions. Mostly because the power delivery is so smooth, but I would have to say the handling is where the bike really shines, at least riding on frozen ground with six inches of snow cover.

I shot some video and stills of Brian and I'll try to have them up with some links tomorrow.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist

Last edited by Berkyboy; 02-23-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:35 PM

Hey Steve, Any news on DOT approval of the 515? possible for this year or next?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 02-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Site Sponsor

Cruiser

It's in the works but it will take time.

My understanding is the EPA has to be able to test the bike periodically over a 10,000 mile time frame. During that time we (GasGas USA / GoFasters) have to provide maintanance and technical support.

To better understand the bike better we are sending one of our mechanics to Spain to get technical training next month on the new generation FSR. That way we can provide better technical support for FSR owners and work with the EPA if they have any questions during the testing approval period.

Short term we are looking to put the new FSR 450 and 515 through a vigorous off-road racing schedule this year and hope to learn more about the bikes reliability. Long term we hope to get involved with the DOT approval process.

I'm not sure of all of the details, or the actual time frame, but a lot of it has to do with the future demand for a GasGas FSR with DOT approval so if you, or anyone you know, wants that approval let your local GasGas dealer know.

515 FSR photo link here

http://berkyboy.smugmug.com/gallery/...888Q#258318459

515 FSR video here

www.youtube.com/v/Q72zHVai5pg

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist

Last edited by Berkyboy; 02-24-2008 at 05:38 PM.