Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 12-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Cool 03-Dec-16 Lyda Camp Ride Report

It's been far too long since I've posted a ride report; haven't been getting out as much and even after getting out for a rip, haven't had time to sit down and craft one.

A few of us descended upon Lyda Camp this past Saturday hoping to get some miles in before the liquid sunshine those incredibly accurate forecasters called for started falling. It was a balmy 36 degrees when we unloaded at 0830 and as I changed in my bucket, I realized my buddy's suggestion of bringing a warming hut would have been damn nice right about then...lol.

The cast of characters for this ride included one of the usual suspects and a relatively newb guy who took a long hiatus from 2-wheeled fun (ex-trials rider). He picked up a Beta X-Trainer back in September and this would be his 2nd time out with us maroons. The first trek was on the Diamond Mill side and we took it mostly easy on him (though it was a soggy, sloppy mess and he deserves a medal for knocking out the full ride). Embracing the full edgy method for indoctrinating new riders, I told him he'd be fine for what the day held...lol.

We had a nice easy start and wound our way over to Hoodraiser (missed the entrance to Log Jam right out of Lyda...that was stoopid) and followed that to the section of Log Jam. Enjoyed ripping down that and then hit Tomans Knob. A quick stop at the trail entrance to let our Beta guy know what was in store and off we went.

Tomans was it's usual challenge of fun switch-backs and rock garden. I haven't been up it in a while and it seemed as though the rocks had grown in the ensuing time...lol. Props to my buddy on the Beta, he didn't have too many issues and joined us at the top shortly after we arrived.

We ventured on, skipping the gnarly section at the very top of Tomans and made our way to Hogsback and Archer's. There was one fun section (not sure which trail it's part of) that cuts of the logging road and has a short, steep rocky climb. I had the pleasure of riding the Beta up that section for my buddy and have to say that bike is a true joy to ride. A nice, low seat height, incredible motor, and outstanding suspension make it almost the perfect bike. I say almost as the only thing it's missing is a kick starter; wouldn't want to be stranded if the magic button decided to fizzle out.

My original plan was to hit Morel's Maze and take that down to Jordan Creek, then loop up to hit Benny's and Payne, but I didn't quite naviguess on my GPS that well and we ended up doing most of Archers.

The trek down Benny's was fun and sloppy, such a fun trail as it traverses multiple ridges and cuts along the draws. Lots of water flowing and when the bikes weren't running, it was great to listen to.

After one minor encounter with a stump and subsequent radiator deflector carnage on the Beta (thankfully, no radiator damage), we stopped for a bite to eat.

We wrapped up Benny's and decided to make our way back up via Payne. I knew this was going to be a solid challenge for our Beta boy, but he'd persevered thus far...should be fine, right? 2 of our trio make our way up the first 2/3rds of the trail and decide to take a break and wait for our Beta boy to catch up. 5 minutes pass and there's no sound of 2-stroke. Hmmm. Another 5 minutes pass and I think I heard a faint 2-stroke wind all the way out, but you know how sound travels in the forest...lol. Another 10 minutes pass and it's been complete silence, unless you count the rain now falling...lol.

Rather than continue waiting, I turn the trusty GG around (which really isn't fun on that narrow trail...lol) and head back down. My poor buddy looked completely exhausted, helmet off with steam rising off his bean, fully stuck on the bottom side of a large root step. Knowing this was my fault, I offered to get his bike over the root step - which gave me another excuse to ride this excellent machine. Got him sorted and we made it to the top without further issue.

The rain decided to start coming down in earnest at this point, so we decided to make our way back toward staging. Along the way, we hit the Lyda Bypass trail, which is a great little section of single track. And when you get out into where they cut, it offers awesome views of the range.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:35 PM

There was a brief moment where we (really I) considered hitting Bales Creek, but figured that might be past the final straw, so we bombed back to staging. Kicked back with a couple beers and called it a day - 31 miles covered and a ton of fun.

Some video to follow shortly
Old 12-06-2016, 09:00 PM

You sir, are a brave soul! The weather has so atrocious, haven't ridden in weessence.

Great report though Brad and I definitely want to hook up this winter for some Burn rides as all of my usual spots are buried in snow.

How's the Gasgas been treating you? Any new mods? What tires are you running for the sloppy conditions?

I'd love to try an X trainer. I love my brother's Beta 250rr, great woods bike.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firffighter View Post
How's the Gasgas been treating you? Any new mods? What tires are you running for the sloppy conditions?

I'd love to try an X trainer. I love my brother's Beta 250rr, great woods bike.
Hey Russ - thanks man!

The little GG200 is great, she's over 200 hours and still going strong. I think the last mod I threw on her were the Fasst Flex bars, definitely a worthwhile investment (and something I wish I had the $$$ to put on my dual-sport bike). Aside from that, just the usual stuff - replaced the linkage bearings before the fall, but nothing else.

I have some generic knob on the front, but on the back I put a Kenda Equilibrium and it's a great tire. It's been on the bike since late June and is wearing very well and still offers great traction. I liked it so much that I put one on my wife's bike. Outside of deep mud, it's a great tire for TSF - especially wet rocks and roots.

I'll tell you, that Beta X-Trainer is one hell of a bike - at least for how/what I ride. I've only been on it a couple times, but it's super easy to ride, the motor is tuned perfectly, and the suspension is excellent. The biggest detractors to me are the lack of a kicker and small fuel tank. I couldn't believe how effortless it was to take it up the steep, rocky section that my buddy couldn't quite get. It was effortless - didn't even need to slip the clutch.

If we get a decent weekend and the snow hasn't piled up in TSF, we'll have to get out. And on that note, for those that want to waste some time, here's video from the ride.

Toman's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPVXRpd2oyA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kBPrZJKbNI

Bypass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umlI3sR8oC8

Benny's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIedLxGZr_E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYTNH0bxt7k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwC004pJozc

Payne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUby8toGXUE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB0qtFwLMHE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-7xKv97aH0
Old 12-08-2016, 09:06 AM

Looks good, weather looks a lot better than here in the uk !!!!!!!
Old 12-08-2016, 12:58 PM

Watch most of the vids and trails looked like they were actually in pretty decent condition. Gonna be a little while now with snowmageddon.

I ran the Equilibrium this past season and thougt it was a pretty good performer. I am trying the IBEX now and love it.

Definitely let me know when you plan to head out again. Love to join!