Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
The last few guys I have mentored all ended up faster than me. I'm changing the advice I give folks.

1. Sit down.

2. don't worry about looking very far down the trail.

3. That little twisty thing on the right side of the bar... Just twist it further.

4. Get the most powerful, Motocross bike you can buy.

5. Kickstands are for sissies.

6. Jump a lot. Do tricks.

Oh, and a bonus. Run a minimum of 30 PSI in your tyres.
Except for 5 & 6, pretty much me...once upon a time

Old 12-12-2012, 07:20 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter007 View Post
Except for 5 & 6, pretty much me...once upon a time
About the 30psi thing....

When I got back into riding, after not touching a bike for 12 years, I really could not remember what pressure I needed to run in my tires. So I ended up deciding to run the same pressure that I used in my car tires (wouldn't want to ask anybody and loose my street cred!).

Well the ice skating act I put on during my first ride in a group was nothing short of breath taking, literally I ended up high siding and knocking the wind out of myself.

Years later the folks that were on that group ride commented on how squirrely I was. Luckily I was pretty dialed in by the time we got together again.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallpuffydog View Post
About the 30psi thing....

When I got back into riding, after not touching a bike for 12 years, I really could not remember what pressure I needed to run in my tires. So I ended up deciding to run the same pressure that I used in my car tires (wouldn't want to ask anybody and loose my street cred!).

Well the ice skating act I put on during my first ride in a group was nothing short of breath taking, literally I ended up high siding and knocking the wind out of myself.

Years later the folks that were on that group ride commented on how squirrely I was. Luckily I was pretty dialed in by the time we got together again.

Don't tell anybody, but there have been a few folks who got extra air in their tires before trail riding while they were not paying attention. A quick burst from the portable tank can provide a few minutes of laughs on the trail.

Only good friends though.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 12-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Just noticed that you live in Oregon. That ride that I mention happened in Santiam Pass.

I really miss the riding (and riding partners) in the Bend and Oak Ridge areas...

Quote:
Don't tell anybody, but there have been a few folks who got extra air in their tires before trail riding while they were not paying attention. A quick burst from the portable tank can provide a few minutes of laughs on the trail.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:

I've been known to turn off fuel spiggots, during "whizz" breaks, on trail rides. Oh, the language I've heard, when a bike starts, then dies soon after
Old 12-16-2012, 05:46 PM

If we ever ride together I am keeping a close eye on you.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I've been known to turn off fuel spiggots, during "whizz" breaks, on trail rides. Oh, the language I've heard, when a bike starts, then dies soon after

You've never turned mine off..... That must mean you like me.
STREET_ GTR 1400 (The Connie)
93 KDX 200 (Katie)
Old 12-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
we have a trail which is named "jays gas stop"...... same ritual..

and i am the jay...
Old 12-19-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onespeed View Post
You've never turned mine off..... That must mean you like me.
I like your bike. We'll have to get you out for a spin, soon. Tahuya is pretty much a swimmin' pool currently. My new toy is still in the same condition you saw it last(I don't wreck 'em like I used to)
Old 12-19-2012, 08:15 PM

I just read this whole thread and actually I think I should be listening to you bowhunter.. You have seat time and you cross train riding mountain bikes . You watch videos to learn and then it's back to the most important part.. seat time. Thanks guys.. I've got a bad cold and I hurt my knee a couple of months ago and haven't ridden. This thread is an easy reminder of all the stuff I think most of us already know but just need a reminder.. A simple list written down and thinking what you do and what you don't do is a great one. ..and I think this thread is just that . It's a list. bowhunter sounds like you are doing fine just doing what you are already doing to get better. One of the main ones is riding with guys that are faster than you ..then riding a long time and then riding often. You watch some vids and you have decent fitness from riding mountain bike. I think I just have to do what you do