Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 04-17-2012, 12:24 PM

Default 4/15 Indiana Harescramble 2003 EC 200

Race @ Stoney Lonesome HS series

This first pic is of the start of the race in Senior A class (Vet A in same line). Had practiced dead engine starts with the gasgas 200 and was confident on starting with the clutch engaged/engine off (something I couldn't do with my RM250, had to start it in neutral as the clutch would slightly drag if everything was not perfect).
Well u guessed it, as 19 bikes roared to life on my line when the flag raised I was left behind doing a few extra kicks (my fault not the bike). This is the norm for me though and am used to getting sub-par starts and working aggressive on the first lap so no worries...lol

We had 1.8" of rain the night before so when I caught up to the back of the pack it was time to get muddy. Worked around several riders in a short span as most everyone was having difficulties with the conditions and felt I was about mid pack with several ahead and several behind.
I really liked the explosive power the little gasgas has and used it a few times when having to get around some of the guys on sections of single track. Getting around clean is hard unless you create a new line (within rules), but fallen logs, or brush are usually preventing. Blitzed over a few fallen logs with ease and was surprised a few times on how well it handled some situations.
Then the bad and ended the day short: Going up a long uphill there were several deep ruts running the length. I took one to the right that someone had just used as he was half way up. I noticed as I was gaining on him that he was having issues (stop & go,etc). Well he was "going" and I was tucked behind when he did a sudden stop. Being in a deep rut and with the momentum I bumped his back tire while trying to stop and fell over.
No big deal (everyone was falling over). He went on his way and I pick up my running bike and away I go after taking a deep breath.
Got off track (missed a turn) and lost a few spots and came in 10th at 1st lap.

Started on lap 2 about a 1/3 of the way through I had a sec to check the bike out as it was steaming a little(figured mud on pipe) and saw my right rad. was crushed (from the early fall) and saw "light blue" down the side and on the pipe from the Engine ice.
So called it quits as I didn't want to burn up the engine and this was more of a "tune-up race" for a diff. series that I am going to be running and engine rebuild is not in immediate plan...lol

Second pick is tail end of 1st lap...if u look hard u can see the void where the(my right) rad. should be.
Had fun & learned more about the bike and myself (conditioning).

Old 04-17-2012, 02:44 PM

Look up our Mr. Unabiker buddy for some good radiator protection after you get yours healed up.
If I'm not mistaken, he is a former or current Stoney club member.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...light=unabiker

Last edited by mcnut; 04-17-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: link added
Old 04-18-2012, 07:14 AM

Thanks MCnut, I'll give them a call