Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Banned

Default Peddle Driven

Any of you catch this documentry on mtn bikers justifying these gastly trails and wooden ramps? I love mtn biking, I own two bikes. An All mtn bike and a xc bike. I can't understand or comprehend the reason for these mtn bikers building this unatural crap in the middle of the forest. There has to be limited to where your common sense would dictate you've gone to far? Trails I understand but this stuff is ridiculous. I don't mean or want to offend anyone who thinks this is ok. It looks to me the downhill bikers are just really a controlled skid that just tears up eveything in it's path? There trails are wider then moto trails.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgasser300 View Post
Any of you catch this documentry on mtn bikers justifying these gastly trails and wooden ramps? I love mtn biking, I own two bikes. An All mtn bike and a xc bike. I can't understand or comprehend the reason for these mtn bikers building this unatural crap in the middle of the forest. There has to be limited to where your common sense would dictate you've gone to far? Trails I understand but this stuff is ridiculous. I don't mean or want to offend anyone who thinks this is ok. It looks to me the downhill bikers are just really a controlled skid that just tears up eveything in it's path? There trails are wider then moto trails.
We've had locals in our area upsetting the local authority, by building the same crap. The ramps, berms, and other unauthorized trail building had to be dismantled. I am also an avid MTBer, and love to ride on similar terrain. These people can get access taken away for everyone. There's enough legal areas for me to ride, that there's no way I'd risk being caught poaching rides where I don't belong. There are bad eggs in every basket...I've seen just as much illegal mountain biking, as motorcycling. On an average day...MTBers & dirtbikers have more in common than not, Especially when tree huggers find the sort of trail building mentioned. It's a lot harder to catch MTBers poaching rides, since they basically make little to no noise.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:32 PM

The apparatus seems more like something one would see at an urban "Mountain Bike Park" rather than in the woods.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
The apparatus seems more like something one would see at an urban "Mountain Bike Park" rather than in the woods.
It would seem...lately this sort of construction is popping up more on public land. I guess some find it hard to resist "free" building material, since it's just lying on the ground. In some reported cases, live trees have been cut down, giving all public land users a black eye.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:04 PM

We have something like this in our local riding area and the mtb ers flip when a dirt bike is anywhere near them which I laugh about because our trails were there Long before all that crap
Old 04-28-2013, 01:50 PM

I don't think it is any different than building an MX track. Don't know if goes too far, nice to see guys keep on pushing the envelope...just look at how far enduro racing as gone...and keeps on going. Pretty dang amazing what some of those guys can do.

I have ridden some of that Shoots and Ladders crap at the North Shore and Whistler British Columbia, it is pretty fun. Sure does make your ass pucker and your balls shrink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2DcwDQxUKQ

As for trail access, would be nice if everyone learned to share. I see the moto guys are suing the Forest Service in Colorado over only motorized being kicked out. I say it is about time, I have been saying that for years...if the selfish mountain bikers and hikers refuse to share, kick those SOB's out as well. Pretty dang ridiculous that we are fighting over how one another recreates...when there are far greater problems in this World to tackle.

I dunno about you guys I enjoy it all, moto, bicycle, hiking...heck might even catch me on a horse too.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I don't think it is any different than building an MX track. Don't know if goes too far, nice to see guys keep on pushing the envelope...just look at how far enduro racing as gone...and keeps on going. Pretty dang amazing what some of those guys can do.

I have ridden some of that Shoots and Ladders crap at the North Shore and Whistler British Columbia, it is pretty fun. Sure does make your ass pucker and your balls shrink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2DcwDQxUKQ

As for trail access, would be nice if everyone learned to share. I see the moto guys are suing the Forest Service in Colorado over only motorized being kicked out. I say it is about time, I have been saying that for years...if the selfish mountain bikers and hikers refuse to share, kick those SOB's out as well. Pretty dang ridiculous that we are fighting over how one another recreates...when there are far greater problems in this World to tackle.

I dunno about you guys I enjoy it all, moto, bicycle, hiking...heck might even catch me on a horse too.
Up on the Sammamish Plateau we have Duthy Hill. Same type of jump lines. Lots of fun, but I'm gettin' too old & scared of big air crashes.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter007 View Post
Lots of fun, but I'm gettin' too old & scared of big air crashes.
I hear that!

DesertGasser300: yeah, their justification is ludicrous...my excuse is, I build trails because it is fun, don't need any BS reason other than that.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nambo-trev View Post
We have something like this in our local riding area and the mtb ers flip when a dirt bike is anywhere near them which I laugh about because our trails were there Long before all that crap
I've taken the time to inspect, up close, the ramps & wooden trestles these guys build...impressive. The ones I've looked over & ridden on, would easily support a dirtbike. That being said...I don't have the "stuff" to grab a 2t, and give one a go. Yes, they do flip over the apparent potential dirtbike transgression. My fav is running one of the less elaborate jump lines, chasing the "kids". After I pull off my full-face helmet, the reaction at the end is nearly always the same..."Dude! You're like...OLD!"
Old 04-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Banned

Its always interesting for me to hear of the issues you guys out west have with sharing public land. We don't have that problem in the east because there is hardly any public land to share. We ride on our property or ride with a friend or form a club and lease a bunch of land. When you own/lease the land you don't worry about these issues because you decide who rides and what they ride.
One of my best friend has about 100 acres near my house and several of us got together and built trails on it. Now we go ride on there on the weekend and drink beer afterwards. Sometimes more beer than riding!
Funny story about the guy who owns the land. Right after he bought it 20 years ago he found a guy bow hunting on his land. The guy was in a climbing stand. Troy told him he now owned the property and that he needed to leave. The guy told him that he had permission and wasn't leaving. Troy went home on his ATV and got his big freaking Stihl chain saw. He rode up to the tree and starting pulling on the rope to start it. The guy came down the tree very quickly and left. Troy has no more issues with tresspassers!