Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:31 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I just use whatever washing powder my wife has at the time, quite liberally and it has worked awesome. I agree that it is not as good as the no-toil cleaner (/Oxy) but still gets them really clean

also along the lines of using gas, also don't go too hot on the wash, i had a filter fall apart when i had the water too hot, melted the glue at the seams

On a side note, those of you who use petrol/kerosene etc, what do you do with the dirty fuel afterwards? That is why i started using no-toil, can just ditch it in the sink without having to worry about Greta giving me stink-eye (at least until she discovers the filter is for an oil burner 2-stroke !!)
There is also a belief that no-toil alows water through the filter easier than oil-based filter oils as they have hydrophobic properties, but when i drown a bike it is normally like the titanic

Old 12-12-2019, 05:34 PM

Personally, I have a small waste oil drum that I put all hydrocarbon waste into. When it becomes full I can take it to the tip or start some bonfires.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:00 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Find a gravel driveway or similar it wont get into the water table. My filters last years. Just don't make mistake of pegging them up or they dissolve where the peg sits. Shake gas out then leave to dry..

Spectro filter fluid was great but cant seem to get it so swapping over next filter. My rings are same from 9 years ago. Did the crank and they were 1/3 worn. Went back in. Oil based oil is good filter.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 12-13-2019, 01:41 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
I just use whatever washing powder my wife has at the time, quite liberally and it has worked awesome. I agree that it is not as good as the no-toil cleaner (/Oxy) but still gets them really clean

also along the lines of using gas, also don't go too hot on the wash, i had a filter fall apart when i had the water too hot, melted the glue at the seams

On a side note, those of you who use petrol/kerosene etc, what do you do with the dirty fuel afterwards? That is why i started using no-toil, can just ditch it in the sink without having to worry about Greta giving me stink-eye (at least until she discovers the filter is for an oil burner 2-stroke !!)
There is also a belief that no-toil alows water through the filter easier than oil-based filter oils as they have hydrophobic properties, but when i drown a bike it is normally like the titanic
Greta has no idea what a 2 stroke is and her solar powered super yacht wouldn't make it to NZ.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudolfHucker View Post
I used to use Oxi Clean but it's not easy to find in the UK now. Soda crystals do the job as well anyway. I checked the Hazard data for the No-Toil cleaner and it states that the chemistry is basically the same.
Hey, use what you got!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
I've heard that as well but have seen no proof of it. I have raced total mudders, in the rain, and lots of deep standing water. Plus, it rained almost every weekend last winter as well and I ride rain or shine. I have never had a problem with water getting past my No Toil oiled filter even with the 2011's horrible air box design.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 12-13-2019, 04:27 PM

Default How do you clean ur air filter?

I’ve used No Toil for years. Wouldn’t use anything else. I’ve heard people talk about it not being good for water but I have never had a problem.
Check out this link to this video. Ricky Carmichael used it for many years. If it works for him then it’s good enough for me...

I am surely no where near his skill level!

https://youtu.be/N26Ftxy6NLg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2019, 06:17 PM

Uni filter cleaner and re-oil. Fast and easy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Old 12-15-2019, 02:01 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
Find a gravel driveway or similar it wont get into the water table. My filters last years. Just don't make mistake of pegging them up or they dissolve where the peg sits. Shake gas out then leave to dry..
You are sooo wrong!!! Ask the guys from Flint!

I know it was practiced regularly years ago, I remember a friend who's father had the isuzu dealership. They used to pour old engine oil on their driveway as well until they started wondering why they had to reapply it every year and where it went. Now they sell it to the eco-famous glass recycling place who burn it to heat their furnace
Old 12-15-2019, 06:09 PM

I work in environmental remediation, everything makes its way into the water table. We have at least 100 years of work ahead of us cleaning up after people pouring hydrocarbons into the ground. Just FYI
Old 12-16-2019, 09:47 AM

Why would anyone pour fuel on the ground and not light it?