Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:18 PM

Default GasGas for Alligator Enduro Conditions?

My first post here - I ran the Alligator today on my '07 YZ250 2T & am now looking for a real enduro bike, not a converted MXer. To that end, how do the GGs do in Florida sand conditions? (I live 30 miles from Daytona, & the conditions where I ride are very similar. I also ride at Croom.)

Specifically, how does the bike (probably an EC250) handle in very soft, shifty sand, with lots of whoops? Is it stable in this sand both in tight conditions and at WOT in top gear? Does it need a Scotts?

Also, how is the suspension stock for a 180 - 190 pound rider, both in palmetto roots & dug out corner exits, as well as in big, deep sand whoops, both low speed & WOT? My YZ is great in the bigger stuff, but it pounds me in the roots & dug out corners.

Would a Husky or pumpkin be a better choice for these specific conditions?

Finally, any good dealers in the Orlando/Daytona area, or do I need to look a little further?

Thanks.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:20 PM

Default mud

Where I live N,EAST we don,t have to much sand,but we do have loamy,clay base mud and snow and ROOOOCKS,I have an 06' ec300 that is the best bike I've had in 10 years and I owned 2 and 4stk KTM'S and it's much more planted than any of them,GG power,to me,is subtle once you jet and gear it right it has pop from bottom to top.it's almost boring feel, but you look over your shoulder exiting a turn and it,s throwing soft-ball size rocks and you don,t even feel the need to shift because it,s grunting not winding.I don't know if I helped you but thats my 2 cents.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:08 PM

I don't have any whoops near me. My suspension is set up plush for rocks. Once a year I race down in New Jersey. The fast whoops down there used to scare the hell out of me. I took some bad diggers in the past, but my GG has carried me through them and even instilled a bit of confidence. I don't know how it would handle for someone that knew how to ride, but it seems to forgive my lack of technique even when not set up for whoops.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:17 AM

Well, I grew up in Central Florida riding sand and clay. I have been to Crooms only once, but remember the endless sand whoops. Now I have been to the Nevada and California deserts. Plenty of sand whoops, rocks and speed. My GasGas EC300s works great in sand.

Anytime you are riding deep sand, a steering damper will help you. Both my Gassers are stable and can easily be ridden without a damper, but I don't ride without one.

Suspension for WFO across sand whoops and tight trails over palmetto roots? That's a tall order. I have Ohlins forks on my '05 EC300. I purchased and installed the optional high and low speed base valves. They work great, but I am considering fork sub-tanks for even more adjustment and bottoming resistance when the whoops become huge.

2005 GasGas EC300 (Ohlins front and rear)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
2003 Pampera 280(hers)
Old 03-12-2008, 03:40 PM

Anyone with an '07 or '08?