Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:03 PM

Default Electrical system acting up at high RPM

My ’06 EC300 has some electrical issues which appear to be related. It is a stock Euro EC300 with higher output electrical system, halogen headlight, taillight/brake light, turn signals, odo/speedo and horn.

Here are the problems…

Above about 6000 RPM the ignition will intermittently cut out. It doesn’t do it all the time. The higher the RPM the more it tends to cut out. Reducing RPM brings the lights back to bright.

Above about 6000 RPM the lights start to dim intermittently. The higher the RPM the dimmer they get to where the lights almost go out. The engine runs fine if the RPM is reduced.

The tachometer records some very high RPMS when the system starts to act up. Max RPM recorded is 19999 which is totally unreasonable.

I am looking for some assistance in troubleshooting my electrical system and how to isolate the problem(s).

Old 04-04-2008, 09:01 PM

My '03 EC300 with 2k-3 had a similar problem. In my case if the lights were turned off the ignition problem got worse (cut out at lower RPMs than with the lights on).
It was the voltage "regulator".
Old 04-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Start by disconnecting the cables from the generator coils and start up your engine. Problem still there?

Do this to find out if your problems stems from the power side or the ignition side. If bike now runs fine, I'd look at the voltage regulator.

Have you checked that all your connectors are ok? A grounding problem with a somewhat loose connector would be vibration sensitive, hence the problems at higher rpm. Is your stator plate securely fastened? Is your engine grounded to chassis? There might be a loose fastening in one of you engine mounts.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the replies!

I will check it out.

*Follow up - replacing the voltage regulator fixed the problem.*

Last edited by Eric K; 11-12-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:16 PM

Regulator (actually clipper). The higher RPM, the more current is shuted to ground. Any time you have a high current pulse you have potential EMI/EFI concerns.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:12 AM

I have same year, same ignition and have same problems. I cleaned every connector, changed regulator for 100% functional and nothing helped.
The problems was that at higher rpm the power circuit(for lights,speedo and turning signals) get voltage down to 3 or 5V and lights started blinking. Sometimes the voltage got totally off and get back after some minutes... Now it is without any voltage every time and i don´t know where is the problem Engine runs good in every moment, but power circuit is off Where i should start with searching? I think that something wrong could be under ignition rotor but I don´t have extractor tool for it
Old 12-18-2008, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET_AGENT_BOND View Post
I have same year, same ignition and have same problems. I cleaned every connector, changed regulator for 100% functional and nothing helped.
The problems was that at higher rpm the power circuit(for lights,speedo and turning signals) get voltage down to 3 or 5V and lights started blinking. Sometimes the voltage got totally off and get back after some minutes... Now it is without any voltage every time and i don´t know where is the problem Engine runs good in every moment, but power circuit is off Where i should start with searching? I think that something wrong could be under ignition rotor but I don´t have extractor tool for it
try the pickup from your stator, its the green and red wire from your stator/ignition, it should be 0.5 - 0.6 volts if its not theres your problem