Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:27 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cook View Post
Since your weight will have shifted forward from dragging the front brake and already loaded the front tire, the tire will bite as you gas it and turn. But, you need to hit the gas as you are letting off the brake, just as you start to "throw" the bars. (tight woods tree dodging)
Do it in "slow motion" first, to get the timing down.
My natural inclination is to slow down, turn, and gas it. That is not the fast way. It turns much better under power, when I slow down, gas it, and turn.

Let me know how it works for you.

Set up a figure8 track and work on getting your technique programmed into your muscle memory. As Graham Jarvis says you need to know slow to go fast (or something like that)

If you compare dirt biking with golf (or another sport where technique counts for more than talent/ fitness) you will note that they spend a lot of time around the putting green or driving range whereas most of us just want to head to the hills. If you can be dedicated and spend an hour doing technique drills for your cornering, balance wheeling etc you will get better and continue riding well into the balding grey years

Old 12-12-2017, 11:32 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I found this clip quite inspirational
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CrZsbcsIGbY
Old 12-13-2017, 08:05 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Yup. Like many riders nowadays I get a lot of inspiration from Barry Morris. It was a pleasure to ride with him and the Traction E-rag guys at the Mexican 500 this year after the event was over. That little clip of Tony crashing into the car on his 3 wheeler is from that event.

Crazy that over a third of the riders had loaded their bikes back on the trucks after the first lap of a 3 lap race. Many never even made it to the end of the first lap.

Most of the guys that quit had never learned how to clutch up wheelie. That one simple move had them completely beaten in the woods where they had laid logs and tires all over the course.

Practice, practice, practice.... Static balance, clutch up wheelies, and cornering. I can't think of three more important things to practice for riding well.