Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:56 AM

Default My bike frightens me :)

Today I turned the PV adjuster back from 2.5 to 2 turns open. I can feel a tiny bit more torque when going uphill slowly in first or second, even third gear, but the bike still rips like hell.

I can't believe how that babe explodes when the throttle passes half way open. With the soft ignition curve its way(!) tamer.

Now I have a problem I never had in 40 years of spannering LOL . Need to tame her a bit, she's too friggin' aggro. I always tried to get the maximum out of the bikes I had in my hands. Never had to tame one, so no big experience there...

It sounds weird, but all I did is changed jetting added a few ounces of flywheelweight and the GP head and that babe rips like crazy. It intimidates me rolling the throttle wide open...

These Suzuki needles, currently I have the NECW in #3 with a 172mj and a 40 pilot jet, seem to unleash the devil. I had three Gassers including a GP, all 300's. I had three KTM 300's (2014, 2015, 2017 with Keihin) but the one I have now is the fastest dirt bike I have ever been on.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:01 PM

It's always fun to learn a new tuning skill! I guess we could switch top ends from my xc250 and that should be about right then.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:54 PM

lower compression again but keep optimal squish clearance?
heavier flywheel? make sure the PV opens later?
or keep it in rain mode all the time ,untill you get used to it?
or even better, get a 200, like i did. :-D
Old 07-21-2020, 05:46 PM

Mite I suggest a DDK needel

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 07-21-2020, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

What a problem to have!

Going to a 250cc engine won't help. Just makes an even softer bottom end with an even steeper ramp up to equal/more top end.

My suggestion would be.. you could try a throttle cam to tame it a bit. G2 ergo, etc. I personally use a short throw/quick pull system so I can get the throttle wide open with less twist or having to regrip.

And... gear it taller. Will be a compromise where you need to find where it can still pull happily under load, but going taller will spread the power out further!
Old 07-21-2020, 11:10 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

+1 on the G2 throttle tamer. I am surprised that it can make as much difference as it does. Not as noticeable on open terrain/ripping through the gears - but in the woods, or at the end of a long day, I find that it really makes a difference. The off-idle hit is mellowed out, and you can grab more of a handful of throttle without upsetting your cart.

I like it in the woods, and am unsure in the desert or more open riding areas. In those situations, the "hit" is kind of fun!

IMO and all that,

Jeff
Old 07-22-2020, 01:24 AM

Wow! Thanks for all that replies guys, much appreciated. Sorry to not answer every single reply.

@Jakobi, Motorman and Jeff:
Definitely a problem I never had before. Never got a bike running like this one and I think I got most to 95% perfect :-)

However, I had a 250 and did not like it as it needed more attention though was more flickable and easier to ride. But the engine required a better rider than me. The G2, yes I had one already and it helped but made it harder to turn the throttle wide open.

Indeed I thought that gearing it taller could be a solution. Sure worth a try.

@cbutler: Overall after quite a few hours of testing with different needles I have to say I am happy with the NECW. Maybe it would make sense to try the JD-red in combination with the 40pj. I admit I never tried that.

@Hannes: I already added 140grams of flywheel weight. How much compression the GP head added I really don't know but the engine runs really nice. As you may have read I already closed the PV set up screw half a turn which made it a tad, but just a tad better. And yes, I rode it most of the time with the soft ignition curve, that really makes a huge difference

Thanks again guys!
Old 07-24-2020, 05:59 AM

Hi Doc,

In the winter i ride mine with the powervalve at 1 turn out, it became very soft on power delivery, but i noticed that i gained a lot of bottom end torque, i can climb without slip the rear wheel and without stalling the engine.

In your case try put it at 1.5 turns and 1 and see if you notice any differences.

cheers.