Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Announcements

Enduro Product Announcements Announce new gasgas enduro products here - Vendors Welcome...

Old 08-05-2006, 09:30 PM

Default Billet radiator guards

These are pretty popular with the orange crowd and are now being made for Gas Gas 2Ts.
http://www.bulletproofdesigns.com/gasgasguards.htm

Old 08-05-2006, 09:43 PM

Oooohhh! Pretty.

Usefull as well as ornimental.

How much are they? If I follow the link and get to the websight, my credit card will fly out of my wallet. How much are they?
Old 08-13-2006, 09:07 PM

I think they're $189.99 US. My next bike is getting a custom pair of those for it. Every bike needs a little bling.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:17 AM

They do look nice but forget about bling for a minute. What do you see that makes these potentially inferior to the flatland guard? No tie back to the head stay, no side coverage, and judging by the hole placement they sit much closer to the radiators, which hurts airflow and provides less room for front impact damage.

For less than $100 you get a set of Flatlands, add TWO sets of GP braces for $60, adding an upper shroud mount.

For less $$ this is the most bulletproof radiator protection setup you can get. I crashed hard enough last week to flex the right shroud to the point of breaking the brake fluid resevoir. The side of the Flatland guard was bent toward the rad only about 3mm in the center between the GP braces, they did their job. The shroud was fine, the rubber isolator I use for the upper mount separated and was eaisly and cheaply replaced.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP
They do look nice but forget about bling for a minute. What do you see that makes these potentially inferior to the flatland guard? No tie back to the head stay, no side coverage, and judging by the hole placement they sit much closer to the radiators, which hurts airflow and provides less room for front impact damage.

For less than $100 you get a set of Flatlands, add TWO sets of GP braces for $60, adding an upper shroud mount.

For less $$ this is the most bulletproof radiator protection setup you can get. I crashed hard enough last week to flex the right shroud to the point of breaking the brake fluid resevoir. The side of the Flatland guard was bent toward the rad only about 3mm in the center between the GP braces, they did their job. The shroud was fine, the rubber isolator I use for the upper mount separated and was eaisly and cheaply replaced.
Glenn,

I have damaged both radiators on my '01 XC300 using precisely the set up you describe. I have since changed to using a combination of 2 GP braces and radiator brace angled back at about 45 degrees to give true triangulation. The angled braces I hand made years ago for my ’01 XC300 are much like the CRD braces I put on my ’06 EC300. I can say based on my long term crash testing on my ’01 XC300, the set up with GP braces and an angled radiator brace is significantly stronger than the GP braces and Flatland guard combination.

I also run the stock radiator louvers, which do a far better job than a radiator guard at keeping mud out of the radiator. We have mud for about 9 months out of the year. Mud is a big cooling inhibitor when it gets in the radiator.

Here is the set up on my ’06 EC300 with modified CRD braces and GP braces…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rad_brace_L1_.JPG (38.1 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Rad_brace_L2_.JPG (37.4 KB, 81 views)
Old 08-15-2006, 11:42 AM

Eric,

Completely agree that a 45 deg. rear mount would be best. Perhaps I'll modify the Flatlands in the future. We have a fair amount of mud, but rocks and sticks are the biggest concern. Most of the potential damage is done by slow speed tipover type falls in technical rock sections, where you run out of leg. This is of the side impact varity, that the GP braces do a great job on. In south NJ, the briars and sticks go to work, plastic louvers litter the trails in a south jersey enduro. The Flatlands have that nice margin between them and the front of the radiator. Once I had a baseball size rock kicked up by a rider in front of me hit the guard square in the front. It bent the guard in about 1", but the rad was untouched. They can clog with mud, but most of it clogs the guard not the radiator, at least not to the point of ever causing me a problem. The GG has excellent cooling capicity, unlike my previous KTMs.

Do you use an upper shroud mount? This saves plastic for sure.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP
They can clog with mud, but most of it clogs the guard not the radiator, at least not to the point of ever causing me a problem. The GG has excellent cooling capicity, unlike my previous KTMs.

Do you use an upper shroud mount? This saves plastic for sure.
Our mud consistency tends to splatter right through the guards and onto the radiator.

I cut off the upper shroud mount so I could run the top GP brace. I zip tie the shroud to the brace, so the shroud doesn't pull out if I catch a branch on it or my boot on it. The ruts are so deep in places I sometimes catch the top inside of the shrouds with my boots.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:38 PM

Eric,

I'll try and find the photo I posted on the Smackover site some time ago. I use an equivalent of the lower pipe mount vibration isolator, but get them much cheaper from an industrial supplier. I'll get the part#. Male end into the GP brace with loctite. Cut the tit off the shroud, and drill an M6 clearance hole. Use a wide head M6 bolt(I use aluminum helmet visor bolts) to bolt the shroud to the isolator. This works very well, really stiffens things up and pulls the front edges of the shrouds in slightly. The rubber isolator flexes so the plastic doesn't crack, but is still strong. Only broke one in the past year, in a pretty severe crash two weeks ago.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:25 PM

Do the bikes not come stock with a metal brace running from the outside of the radiators backwards following the shroud to the frame? My bike has custom aluminum braces bolted to the frame around the rads plus a metal support bolted to the radiator running back to the frame at about a 30 degree angle with the frame. I'll post pics when I strip my bike down this week for race prep.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:08 AM

Speedy, that sounds like a custom job or possibly a CRD.