Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:55 AM

Ok so the cylinder ware marked A and I put an A piston in. I haven't measured it.

I tried to have the right side cover of on the cylinder and hold on the different parts and it did no difference in sound.

I have a bit axial play on the outer clutch basket. Only axial play nothing else.
Is that normal? The sound doesn't change when I pull the clutch lever in.

Could it be just a noisy engine or should I countinue to search?

Thanks!

Old 04-27-2015, 09:11 PM

I would continue to search. GasGas didn't engineer their bikes to make extra noises, but some of us put up with noises that we can't ID and don't seem to be problematic. You might try a mechanic's stethoscope and see if you can locate which area it is "noisiest" on and try to locate the noisiest spot to help you locate the cause....

Sometimes taking out the potential noisemakers (when it is safe to do so) can help isolate problems also, ie, take the clutch pack out, run it, take the hub and basket out, run it again with just a temporary start to see if the noise is still there (obviously not in gear and no pulling on the clutch lever LOL ask me how I know). Maybe even disconnect the powervalve at the bellcrank, start it for a few seconds but don't rev it. While you're in there, make sure the crankshaft nut is tight, also the flywheel. Also no play in the crankshaft. I spend a lot of time checking things that might not be wrong. If i was a real mechanic I wouldn't waste so much time solving problems!

But hey the advice you got at the beginning of this post is sound advice...If you can rule out other potential causes, then you can rest assured it is persistent piston slap and just live with it and be happy.

Or just raise your idle to 2000 RPM and the noise will go away
Old 04-29-2015, 03:20 PM

Ok so I have listened to the engine with stethoscope with not much results it's really hard to hear any differents in sound. As a guess I think it comes from behind the clutch. But the sound makes no difference with the clutch lever pulled or not pulled. Even tried with the bike in gear an let I "drag". All the time the same sound. Only changes with the engine speed. Had the clutch basket of and looked at all the parts and I can't feel no play. Ordered the bearing and bushing any way.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:16 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Top end sounds good now. The clutch noise sounds about normal they are a bit noisy, but should quiet up a lot with clutch lever in. What caused your broken clutch plate?? take a close look at complete clutch assembly,
Old 04-30-2015, 08:24 AM

Is IT possible to start the engine without the clutch basket and hub in the engine? Just f?r a sound check?
Old 04-30-2015, 09:24 PM

I am remembering the video of you being concerned about the movement in the basket. I don't know if that is normal or not. I guess my point was just run the bike for a few seconds, with the basket/hub/clutch pack and bearings/bushing removed, in neutral, don't touch the clutch lever. Now there is nothing connecting the crank gear to the transmission, so it won't spin your trans which shouldn't be a problem even if the oil is out and you only run it for a few seconds to identify the noise.... If the noise is gone, THEN go after the bearings/sleeve under the basket. If the noise persists, it has nothing to do with the clutch.

Tags
engine, noise, rattle