Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:23 AM

Default Thermo Fan

Had heating issues with my fse06 450 on the weekend. Thermo fan wasnt working.

Have replaced relay and bypassed fan to make sure it was working. Still no luck.

There would have to be a heat switch or thermostat to turn on the fan, anyone know where this is located. Or, is there another problem I should be looking at?

Cheers

Old 10-31-2007, 05:18 AM

If you bypassed relay then you have a problem with your fan, power supply to it or wiring. Not your sensor side of things!!

"It's Nature that Brings out the Madness"
GasGas FSR450 07'
Old 10-31-2007, 05:44 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Temp sensor is located at the left rear of cylinder head. Fan relay is controlled by the EFI computer.
Does your fan run if you hook it up directly to the battery?
To have the fan running by jumping/bypassing the relay, you need to have your engine running.

There is a wiring diagram in the '05 user manual
Old 10-31-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergerhag View Post
Temp sensor is located at the left rear of cylinder head. Fan relay is controlled by the EFI computer.
Does your fan run if you hook it up directly to the battery?
To have the fan running by jumping/bypassing the relay, you need to have your engine running.

There is a wiring diagram in the '05 user manual
I have a spare battery laying around, so i connected it directly to the fan to see if it worked or not. The fan works fine.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDoz View Post
If you bypassed relay then you have a problem with your fan, power supply to it or wiring. Not your sensor side of things!!
I see my explaination wasn't the best.

I hooked up a spare battery to the fan. The fan works fine.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:19 AM

If your engine is running fine throughout the temperature range, from cold to hot I would assume your temp sensor is fine. Check and doublecheck all connectors for oxidation, check that relay connectors are in correct position. Check that the ecu connector is attached properly.
Have you checked that you have 12V present at the relay socket with engine running? There should be 12V at pin 2 and 3.
Does the fan run if you bypass the relay? Short the pins 3 and 5 in the relay socket. If the power side of the fan circuit is ok, you should be able to get the fan running when engine is running. If not, this where you should focus your efforts. Relay pinout can be found in the '05 user manual.
If fan runs by jumping relay, there is a problem in the relay activation part. Remove tank, diconnect ecu connector and measure the connectivity from relay socket pin 1 to ecu connector pin 5. If that checks out you need an ecu diagnostic pc/software to diagnose the ecu.

I measured the cold resistance of my temp sensor, at approximatley 5 deg Centigrade, the sensor measured 6.9 kOhm. Heating the brass hex nut with my finger for a minute, the reading was now 6.75 kOhm.

Happy hunting.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergerhag View Post
If your engine is running fine throughout the temperature range, from cold to hot I would assume your temp sensor is fine. Check and doublecheck all connectors for oxidation, check that relay connectors are in correct position. Check that the ecu connector is attached properly.
Have you checked that you have 12V present at the relay socket with engine running? There should be 12V at pin 2 and 3.
Does the fan run if you bypass the relay? Short the pins 3 and 5 in the relay socket. If the power side of the fan circuit is ok, you should be able to get the fan running when engine is running. If not, this where you should focus your efforts. Relay pinout can be found in the '05 user manual.
If fan runs by jumping relay, there is a problem in the relay activation part. Remove tank, diconnect ecu connector and measure the connectivity from relay socket pin 1 to ecu connector pin 5. If that checks out you need an ecu diagnostic pc/software to diagnose the ecu.

I measured the cold resistance of my temp sensor, at approximatley 5 deg Centigrade, the sensor measured 6.9 kOhm. Heating the brass hex nut with my finger for a minute, the reading was now 6.75 kOhm.

Happy hunting.
Thanks for your knowledge bergerhag!

At this stage i have not attempted any of the above. However, it appears my bike has a deeper electrical issue.

Recently I replaced the battery with a good quality unit. It now goes flat quickly after sitting around for a while. It charges up fine from the riding the bike throughout the day.

I am assuming the two problems I have are related?

Prior to my last ride, I had the valves adjusted.

Throughout my last ride, there was a flat spot early in the rev range. This happened twice. I have not experienced this before on my bike.

All related? perhaps.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:44 AM

Flat spot, ey? Running rich perhaps because of faulty temp sensor? ECU thinks bike is cold and meters the fuel incorrectly, then.

Now I definately think your bike needs a hookup to a service computer.

www.technoresearch.com sells a software/cable kit for $195. But you might have a dealer nearby with the appropriate tools. Ducati /HD shops might be able to help too. IAW15P is the ecu model.

Check these threads too
http://gasgasrider.org/forum/showthr...ghlight=IAW15P
http://gasgasrider.org/forum/showthr...ghlight=IAW15P

How quick is the battery emptied? A couple of hours? A couple of days, or weeks?
To diagnose this, disconnect battery cable and insert an ampere meter in between the battery and cable. Check the readout, and start disconnecting stuff. Pull a connector at a time and check the readout. However the ecu is at power at all times, so a small current would be normal. I would guess you should look at your voltage rectifier/regulator first.

On the '05 the instrumentation has a connection to battery power at all times too.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:00 AM

Fan runs fine by shorting pins 3 & 5, I don't have any equipment to measure connectivity, but have since booked my bike in for a diagnoses.

Its been 5 days now since my last ride, battery seems fine?
Old 11-03-2007, 07:48 PM

Have you checked the temp switch resistance.
What you need to do is check resistance at different temperatures.

"It's Nature that Brings out the Madness"
GasGas FSR450 07'