Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:49 PM

Default Who has switched 250 - 300

I currently ride a 1999 gg EC250. I wanted a 300 but I was to cheap to spend a lot of dough and this was the best deal at the time.
I am a 5'10" 215lb lazy rider. With the benefit of hindsight, I think the 250 was the bike for me as it works best if you are more aggressive and that was what I needed to learn. Now that I am "better trained" I would like to pick up a 300cc cylinder for it and find out how I would like that.
I am not worried about the mechanical end yet, just the overall gain. As stated before I am cheap and don't like wasting money. So what have those who have done the conversion thought about the switch? Was it worth the dough? It is almost ready for a rebuild and after this weekends harescramble I am going to look into it picking up some parts.

"is the bike ok" "(groannnnnnnnnnnn)" "no seriusly is it ok?????" "crap the shrouds cracked"

Old 11-11-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-152 View Post
I currently ride a 1999 gg EC250. I wanted a 300 but I was to cheap to spend a lot of dough and this was the best deal at the time.
I am a 5'10" 215lb lazy rider. With the benefit of hindsight, I think the 250 was the bike for me as it works best if you are more aggressive and that was what I needed to learn. Now that I am "better trained" I would like to pick up a 300cc cylinder for it and find out how I would like that.
I am not worried about the mechanical end yet, just the overall gain. As stated before I am cheap and don't like wasting money. So what have those who have done the conversion thought about the switch? Was it worth the dough? It is almost ready for a rebuild and after this weekends harescramble I am going to look into it picking up some parts.
Don't take this the wrong way or anything, I am not putting your bike down, but that is a ton of money to spend on a bike that old. For a little more you can look around and find a good used 02-04 300 for $12-$1500 range and get the updated suspension and a lot of other goodies. OTOH you may have a lot invested in your bike and have the suspension dead on and need a new cylinder anyways. I have both a 300 and 250 and while they are totally different animals unless you are riding in really tight woods in 1st and 2nd gear it isn't enough to justify the expense IMO. If you are not having troubles getting over the nasty rocks or up the off camber hills where you ride just keep your 250 and save the money for a 300 when the right deal pops up.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:14 AM

+ 1 on kendunn's comment. You could sell your bike and put that money with what you would have spent on the 300 conversion and have a newer year model 300. The only unanswered question is what do you want.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the info. I know what you mean and the thought has crossed my mind that I do not want to put much more into this bike. I am not ready to part ways with it yet as it is set up the way I like it and need not be spending more one another bike yet.
I am a c class rider so it is not like I need a newer bike.
I guess that changes my question.
How much better then is the newer suspension?

"is the bike ok" "(groannnnnnnnnnnn)" "no seriusly is it ok?????" "crap the shrouds cracked"
Old 11-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Site Sponsor

the most inexpenisve way to upgrade your 99 would be to get your current suspension revalved by ltr (i'm assuming you have conventional forks) or buy a wp front end (they're relatively cheap from a 2000-2004?) and get it revalved by ltr. a properly setup wp is definitely competitive. imho, if the motor is still strong, the only real world difference until 2005 is the front forks...

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 11-11-2010, 10:33 PM

The deals are out there on good bikes. I got my 200 used for $1700 and then spent $500 on suspension at LTR and a little more on small details for a total of about $2500. I see deals like mine online every month some of them so cheap that if a guy wanted to part them out the sum of the parts is worth more than the asking price of the bike. I agree with stainless that money spent on suspension has the best return for improving your overall performance.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:36 AM

Thanks for the input. As stated earlier, I am not ready to part ways with my 99 so I might look into something like that.

Thank you

Old 11-12-2010, 07:52 PM

The older bikes had good geometery and a good Ohlins shock. Over the years the seating position got flatter, fork improved, and motor evolved. Minor frame changes like shock position and motor position but honestly I thought my '00 turned better than my '03. If I was set on keeping the bike for whatever reason, the first thing I'd do is grab a set of Zoke Shiver forks off a part out, along with a wheel and brake setup. Skip right over the WPs. With these sprung and valved for you along with the shock, you will get a lot more from the bike than another 50 cc. With really good suspension comes confidence and improvement.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:20 PM

Interesting. This why I enjoy this site. I would not have expected to get these as answers. You guys have expertise and aren't afraid to use it. I like and have liked the idea of getting a set of Zokes, it is something I might consider for the right money. Now I still have figure if its worth doing to my old 99. I am going through it this winter and if the replacements parts-to- replacement bike don't add up, then I will maybe will be looking for another bike. I think it will as it is still in good shape with no problems just in need of a rebuild. I think I can run it strong for another year or two however sometimes you do not know until you are into it.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:59 PM

I am a A rider and just switched to a 2011 300 six days. This is not a lazy 300 KTM. This bike flat out rips, almost scary fast. Stick with the 250 as it will be easier to ride, There are pleanty of mods to make the 250 have more grunt.