Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:02 PM

Default gasgas v beta

Has anybody ridden gasgas ec 250 back to back with a beta 250 very interested to hear your comments. many thanks.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:32 PM

I have had two short jaunts on a Beta 300.

In the spectrum of things, save for the Lowish stand-over height, it feels closer fo KTM than GG.

The handling is better than KTM but not quite as good as a GG. My buddy says it's not as stable as his 2011 KTM. (Hmmmm ? ). His Scotts damper fixed that up. He had to do to iterations of valving (Sachs/Sachs) to get the Beta to behave over rocks.

The motor was very smooth. Way smoother than his buzzy KTM (distracting to me), and somewhere in between the GG 250 and 300 (closer to the 250). It revved up linearly without much fly wheel effect.

The Beta E-start was. Better than advertised. Instant-on, even when cold.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:46 PM

Judging by how many people have been "not wanting to drink the beta cool aid" on here lately this should be a fairly open and shut case at least on this forum!!!!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:26 PM

I'm sure to get bashed but here goes. I own a beta 300 racing, Husky WR165 and a 2011 EC250 (Wifes bike). I have also rode the 13 GasGas.
I was going to buy the 13 GasGas as I liked everything about it but thought I would take a chance on the Beta.
Beta steers easier than the either of the GasGas bikes. Think less effort, not better just easier. I would call it a wash depending on what you like.
Looks go to the 13 GasGas.
Engine I have to give it to the Beta at least for me. So far the best 2 stroke I have rode.
Egros I like the Beta over the 11 but would say it is a wash with the 13
The Beta weighs close to 30lbs less. I know the GasGas doesn't feel heavy when you ride it. But it is heavy that is a fact.
Fit and finish Beta all the way.
Ease of maintenance again Beta all the way.
I like the adjustable power valve and a place on the bike to put tools.
Electric start. Beta rules, its not an add on and works perfect.
Brakes when set up correct both feel good. Brakes on my Husky kick all their asses.
Trans feel and shifting goes to the GasGas.
I like all bikes and if the Beta didn't come along I would have been happy on a new GasGas but I'm glad they made it.
If you would like to know more PM me or send a email to kowitza@msn.com
Old 05-22-2013, 05:27 PM

Good write up Arminhammer. It s always good to hear and read an individuals honest opinion. I am very new to both GG and 2 strokes, so i dont have much to offer in comparrisons of these models. I can say yhat so far, i am very happy with my GG 300 decision, but am also looking forward to trying out my buddies bramd new 2013 Beta 300 aswell. I ll definetely make a comparrison wrote up when ive had the chance to ride his. I know that so far however, he is 100% happy w his new toy....and the e start that came with it.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:46 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminhammer View Post
I'm sure to get bashed but here goes. I own a beta 300 racing, Husky WR165 and a 2011 EC250 (Wifes bike). I have also rode the 13 GasGas.
I was going to buy the 13 GasGas as I liked everything about it but thought I would take a chance on the Beta.
Beta steers easier than the either of the GasGas bikes. Think less effort, not better just easier. I would call it a wash depending on what you like.
Looks go to the 13 GasGas.
Engine I have to give it to the Beta at least for me. So far the best 2 stroke I have rode.
Egros I like the Beta over the 11 but would say it is a wash with the 13
The Beta weighs close to 30lbs less. I know the GasGas doesn't feel heavy when you ride it. But it is heavy that is a fact.
Fit and finish Beta all the way.
Ease of maintenance again Beta all the way.
I like the adjustable power valve and a place on the bike to put tools.
Electric start. Beta rules, its not an add on and works perfect.
Brakes when set up correct both feel good. Brakes on my Husky kick all their asses.
Trans feel and shifting goes to the GasGas.
I like all bikes and if the Beta didn't come along I would have been happy on a new GasGas but I'm glad they made it.
If you would like to know more PM me or send a email to kowitza@msn.com
What do you mean by a a place on the bike to put tools?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
What do you mean by a a place on the bike to put tools?
Behind the left side panel there is a spot with two rubber straps to hold the supplied tool bag.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 05-23-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nambo-trev View Post
Judging by how many people have been "not wanting to drink the beta cool aid" on here lately this should be a fairly open and shut case at least on this forum!!!!
LOL, I'm not saying anything.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 05-23-2013, 07:09 AM

Mr. Beane....what say you on the comparo? BTW is the Beta really 30 lbs lighter than a GG?
Old 05-23-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john01 View Post
Mr. Beane....what say you on the comparo? BTW is the Beta really 30 lbs lighter than a GG?
John I weighed my wife's 11 EC250 and my Beta on the same scale and came up with 29lb difference. No fuel in any of the bikes and rad guards on the Gasgas.
What surprised me most is that the Beta was only about 10lbs more than my husky wr165.