Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2006, 03:38 PM

Smile Thinking on a 450FSE to replace my KTM LC4 - Engine longevity?

Hi there, new guy here.

I'm currently on a KTM LC4 powered bike (my first moto) which is very reliable but heavy for tight trails. An opportunity came up to sell the orange for a near new '05 450 FSE and I'm thinking it might be a better answer to a trail-rideable daily driver than my LC4. In the end I want a one bike garage.

In looking around, I've looked at the sevice manuals on the GG website and see the oil and valve interval's are very comparable to what I'm on now. The big question is just how long would a moderately used FSE motor go? By moderate I mean used by as a low key road commuter, dual spoter and some tight, mountain trail riding in British Columbia and WA state which is probably the hardest on the bike of all my use cases.

As a reference point, I rode about 8,000 miles this year on my orange beast, most of it on road for trips of 20-50 miles. Is it realistic to expect the 450FSE motor to go big miles like my LC4 will provided it's treated with respect?

Also I was told by a GG dealer the 450 holds 2.5 quarts of oil while the online service manula says 1.2 liters. What's the real oil capapity? 2.5q's would be fantastic.

One more thing. The engine cases sure look a lot like the Suzuki DRZ. Again, dealer told me a number of the parts are interchangeable. Huh? What's the real truth on the motor design?

Thanks a lot.