Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:59 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I raced this event and ran into David at breakfast Sunday before the race and he came across as just a regular guy who loves racing despite the fact that he is a legend.

He and the GGNA guys conversed with our group for about an hour or so and it was just a group of guys bench racing over coffee (tea for David). I couldn't believe how humble and approachable the guys were. Truly a highlight to an epic weekend.

As to the clutch, I was in all the races other than the final and during one of Sunday races (can't remember which) it looked like the bike took a nasty drop on the left side as the plastics were damaged and the airbox cover was missing.

I knew he was having troubles with the clutch but wasn't sure if it was the controls or the clutch itself but if it was the controls they certainly hit the dirt hard on that side.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:43 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
I raced this event and ran into David at breakfast Sunday before the race and he came across as just a regular guy who loves racing despite the fact that he is a legend.

He and the GGNA guys conversed with our group for about an hour or so and it was just a group of guys bench racing over coffee (tea for David). I couldn't believe how humble and approachable the guys were. Truly a highlight to an epic weekend.

As to the clutch, I was in all the races other than the final and during one of Sunday races (can't remember which) it looked like the bike took a nasty drop on the left side as the plastics were damaged and the airbox cover was missing.

I knew he was having troubles with the clutch but wasn't sure if it was the controls or the clutch itself but if it was the controls they certainly hit the dirt hard on that side.
Cool!! I can't say I've ever met him. My only opinion of him is that he races hard and is known for crashing hard. I'm excited to see him racing for GG. Hope to rub bars with him up here in Canada at the Corduroy Enduro in September. Should be easy for him that one. The last time a big name showed up was Chris Birch but it's been a few years.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:45 PM

Cool

SFiegen here, just wanted to answer a few of the questions raised. I conducted the Demo tour for Gas Gas last year and I had the privilege to help David Knight at the rev limiter last weekend. We were at the I-Hop the morning of the race and met some of the racers competing that day. VXZEROKNOTS you are correct, he is the most laid back, cool racer you would want to meet. No attitude, No BS he is genuinely a nice guy, just another racing buddy to hang out with. The steakhouse was cool but a story for another time. As far as the clutch situation, that was an issue of using a different clutch master cylinder that David was more familiar with. We set it up and guess what, it didn't work like he wanted it too and he lost the clutch part way through the race and that was why he dropped off the pace. A mechanic issue yes not a Gas Gas issue. After race one we went back to the stock Magura set up and clutch problems gone. During the first lap he smacked a hole in the clutch cover on a nasty section of rocks. David came in to replace the clutch after half a lap of abuse. He lost most of the oil in the transmission but true to Gas Gas durability it just kept going. The clutch cover issue pulled him out of the race for over 10 minutes but he still took fourth right behind Ashburn and Graffunder. Race 3 he was ripping it up taking 2nd behind Webb. To answer some of the other comments, yeah he is a beast when he races, and brutal on the equipment. David will be doing select races in the States and Canada this year and if I receive info of his arrival I will post it here to let you know. I wanted to give a special thanks to Jim Haugen for all the hard work changing out the damaged parts and also a special shout out to David "K" for all the help and the push when I was installing my third tire and mousse combo. David I'm sure I speak for all the race fans that you took the time to speak with and take photos with even though you were busy WE ALL APPRECIATED IT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1716.jpg (125.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1714.jpg (117.3 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1724.jpg (129.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1741.jpg (125.7 KB, 67 views)
Old 01-17-2018, 12:21 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

and nice to see him being positive about a loss, normally he comes across as being a whiney b!tch when he looses ... after the above comments i will be easier on his past and conceded that he may have had just cause to whine
Old 01-17-2018, 07:43 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
and nice to see him being positive about a loss, normally he comes across as being a whiney b!tch when he looses ... after the above comments i will be easier on his past and conceded that he may have had just cause to whine
I thought the way you did, but after meeting him my opinion changed. IHOP on the other hand, still sucks.

My whole group was laughing out asses off about his comments, "it's a simple race isnt it? Just up and down, up and down." Not for us mortals haha!

Last edited by VxZeroKnots; 01-17-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfiegen View Post
David I'm sure I speak for all the race fans that you took the time to speak with and take photos with even though you were busy WE ALL APPRECIATED IT.
Thanks for the info and insight!

I personally think he has been the best signing for Team GG. He's a big name who helps draw attention and who also gets results and that's what GG needs right now trying to rebuild the brand. I believe he starts to podium from here on out and hopefully a top step along the way.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 01-18-2018, 03:20 PM

Default Banging Up the Clutch Cover

Thanks for posting! Banging a hole in the clutch cover would do it as far as slowing you down. Cyclenews mentioned the same issue,

http://www.cyclenews.com/2018/01/art...-extreme-race/

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 01-18-2018, 03:24 PM

Just my 2 cents...that new gasser has leaped to the top of the pile, its the bike to have now.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 01-18-2018, 03:29 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto7man View Post
Just my 2 cents...that new gasser has leaped to the top of the pile, its the bike to have now.
I can't agree more. Lets just hope the rest of the buying public stops drinking the orange kool-aid and starts seeing red!!
Old 01-19-2018, 12:40 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto7man View Post
Thanks for posting! Banging a hole in the clutch cover would do it as far as slowing you down. Cyclenews mentioned the same issue,

http://www.cyclenews.com/2018/01/art...-extreme-race/
Interesting that Mitch Carvolth is 5th at this race and he was about an hour and a half behind the winners on the last day of the roof of africa (he siezed his bike on the second day, but rode the last day finishing 38th for the day).

is it a smaller field in the US?