Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default aftermarket pipe for '07 300?

my 300's pipe has been smashed, bent & mangled--it's bent so far back that it's melting a hole in my plastic skid plate. I always sent my KTM pipes to Pacific Crest to get fixed, but that takes a little while & I hate to miss a ride waiting on the pipe. I like the way it runs with the stock pipe just fine; I'd like to have an extra so I can swap them out when 1 is being fixed.

does anyone know about aftermarket pipes for this bike? FMF lists 1, the gnarly, but I never liked those on my KTMs. anybody have experience with that pipe on this bike? if so, what's it like? are there any others? will pipes for other year models work w/o a lot of hassle? don't want to spend $400 on a stocker....

thanks

LAWMAN

Old 01-04-2008, 11:38 AM

I picked up a stocker for a good price, I love the way the bike runs with it. Keep your eye on the classifieds here and on ebay. Also check with GoFasters. The closest thing in performance would be the Doma. Might need a little tweaking to fit the '07 chassis. Gnarlys on GGs are typical, they give a lot of bottom and big mid rush but don't rev out as far. What we were told is that FMF is making a new pipe for the '07/'08 more like their SST or the GG pipe.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:26 PM

Mark at GoFasters told me the 08 FMF pipe will basically be a Doma copy. I presume this is a good thing??? What was the 07 pipe??

Skidad in MA
Old 01-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidad View Post
Mark at GoFasters told me the 08 FMF pipe will basically be a Doma copy. I presume this is a good thing??? What was the 07 pipe??

Skidad in MA
A doma copy with higher guage steel will not be a good thing... It will be friggin' fantastic! - outstanding performance and durability...

In '07 the bikes were delivered with an oem pipe that is (more) similar to the doma in behavior.

jeff
Old 01-04-2008, 02:21 PM

thanks, boys!

any ETA on the new FMF pipe? is the gnarly available in the meantime?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Site Sponsor

Having just assembled an '08 and an '07 yesterday I would guess that the '08 pipe is made out of lighter guage steel as it felt lighter. I didn't weigh them but it seemed lighter. Better get a pipe guard for sure!
'07 EC300 sold
'06 EC300 sold
'78 Suzuki RM250C2
'75 Yamaha YZ250B sold
Old 01-04-2008, 02:49 PM

Both my GG pipes are heavy gauge steel, seem at least as tough as a Gnarly. Plus, the Hyde combo fits perfect with the pipe. I always wanted a Doma for my '03 but thin, expensive pipes and big rocks don't mix. Now its a different story with a heavy gauge copy and the Hyde combo guard.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWMAN View Post

does anyone know about aftermarket pipes for this bike? FMF lists 1, the gnarly, but I never liked those on my KTMs. anybody have experience with that pipe on this bike? if so, what's it like? are there any others? will pipes for other year models work w/o a lot of hassle? don't want to spend $400 on a stocker....

thanks

LAWMAN
I have a Gnarly. It's very robust but the fit on mine was not great. It produces very good low end grunt but I found it was a little too responsive for me at the bottom end and becomes tiring in woods enduros. The bike will lurch forward even at just off idle when you open the throttle. I also have a Doma which is not so responsive down low but I get a step in of power which I'm trying to remove with jetting. It loses some low end grunt but I found it smoother once it starts producing power.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:01 PM

I just ordered the new FMF pipe that is supposed to be like the Doma, from Gofasters (FYI, they had a few more). the plan is to send the stocker, which is pretty well smashed, to Pacific Crest when the new 1 gets here. I'll post a review once the new 1 has a little use on it.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:21 PM

well, not so fast. looks like I had a misunderstanding with the GF boys, I thought i was getting the new design, but the pipe I got is a Gnarly. I saw that but mounted it anyway & took it for a ride. it is just as reputed, a little more bottom, a little quicker to blast thru the mid, a little less on top. it is very pretty, the shiny nickel plate looks better than the stocker, & mine bolted right up--it took a little force, but no hammers or big levers. no complaints, the differences are minor enough that it will serve its purpose--something to use until the stocker gets back from being fixed.

in the meantime, I was at my friendly local dealer's yesterday; they had just got in an '08 250 EC & it was still in the crate. it had the new FMF pipe, a fatty. Doh!