Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 12-13-2011, 09:16 AM

Question Rear suspension riding low and hard on a 07 ec 300

Hi Guys.

last week i was at the track giving my bike a bit of a thrashing.

When i landed quite a big jump i heard a "clunk" kind of sound from the rear shock. After this the bike is riding as low as it can go, no give in any bump and is hard as a rock.

I gave it a looking over and nothing seems to be broken or snapped (visual inspection).

i have called around and have been told that my rear shock needs to be re-gassed. could this be the problem? or is the problem elsewhere?

Hope you guys can help.

regards

Jarrod

Old 12-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

look at the pictures in this thread... i bet something is broke..or frozen up..

time to take it apart..

welcome btw..

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11194
Old 12-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

You describe the bike riding as low as possible. You must have broken something! Have another look. The shock "needing regassing" would have nothing to do with what you are describing. There was some issues with the Sachs shocks around this time losing damping, but that sure isn't what you are describing.
One long shot, actually this happened to me, the circlip holding the shock together came out of its groove and the shock "blew apart". The seal block slid down the shaft and obviously all the gas and oil pissed out. I can't remember if the piston jammed on the outside top of the shock - would be easy to see if this has happened to yours...
Old 12-13-2011, 02:15 PM

I suggest taking the shock and linkage off. You will probably find the problem before you get it completely apart but if not remove the shock spring and see if you can work the shock through it's stroke. I would check the swingarm bearings while your there just because.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Broken Spring?

I am not sure what you mean by "riding low." Can you be more specific? There is a bit of added spring effect with the gas in the shock, but i don't think its loss would affect ride height.

Hard to say otherwise. If the piston came loose, then there would be nothing holding the thing together.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:35 AM

Ok to put it short

The rear will not rise up at all. Their is NO give in the rear suspension at all. Its like riding on bricks.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Something is proper fugged. Seized I would say. As suggested pull the linkage and shock and you'll find the source of the issues. Inspect the swingarm pivot while you're in that far and replace bearings if they need it.

When my old mans WR450F had its linkage bearings go the shock would only compress about 5mm then it was lik hitting a brick wall. Take the pivot out of one of the points and the whole suspension starts binding up. Quite possible yours has blown some bearings on a big hit and locked itself in that place.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:15 AM

So basically replace the with a new shock?

Regards

Jarrod
Old 12-15-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrodw View Post
So basically replace the with a new shock?
No, if you take the shock off and the swingarm and linkage is still stiff/seized, its not the shock. If it frees up then the shock was the issue, send it to someone who knows their way around suspension and have them look at it. A friend had his ohlins shock seize up because someone 'tuned' it poorly and it had about 10mm of shock movement, he had it fixed by someone who knew what they were doing, and now its fine.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:37 AM

OK, Shock is fugged up. I have orded a new one from an overseas company. They are closed due to holidays. So will only arrive in January. apparently something inside the shock is buggered and it is impossible to fix (went to two shops and both said the same thing). will post again when the shock arrives:-)

Regards

Jarrod