Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:49 AM

I talked to Steve (Berkyboy) in Greece about this. We both agreed raising the forks approximately 10mm on the 2007s was a good thing. Not sure on the shock length or anything like that, but I'm running around 110mm of sag right now and my bike absolutely rails.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Banned

I honestly can't imagin any bike turning better than my 01 . Its almost intuitive in nature and i've adapted to a faster mx leg out as a counterweight style, at times not easy in the super tight the rear end also responds well to power steering with the throttle , gives me lots of feedback so no suprises, overall very neutral and balanced.
The 03 is slower turning more mx oriented and headshakes at times, good thing it has a great shock with high speed comp damping as well as a very heavy rear spring, still a good package with the potent mc motor but requires a bias towards riding the rear shock as opposed to a more neutral stance.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:41 AM

I run my forks way up in the clamps as well. (almost touching bars) I also run more sag then usual. (120) This gets the whole bike lower and makes it quick, stable, and drop side to side effortlessly. The new sachs is good. The racing version is firm but boy does it like to be pushed. Shock is good as well. I have ridden it back to back with the ohlins rear shock and I prefer the sachs. Much more feel IMHO. I also run my bars in with the clamps turned forward but the mounts in the back hole. I used to run the clamps forward and the mounts in the front hole and it caused the front end to knife too easily. I do not run a steering dampener (no need). I put the bike on a stand, loosen the top clamp, and tighten the steering nut until the handlebars will not turn/move on there own. Get it to quit flopping and it is good. As for the engine, get the jetting right and ride it!

Brian
Old 04-29-2009, 09:01 PM

I liked my '00 XC better than my '03. It had the same frame as the '01 with the long shock, so it had some rake to it and really turned. It was also quite fast. The '03 was softer in steering and power. Good bike in the real crap where sharp steering and snap does not help. It lacked low end though which bugged me enough to make a VForce manifold and other mods, problem solved. The '07 is a cut above in every way, a really good motorcycle. Since mine missed a year of action and only has 52 hrs. on the meter, I'll be keeping it unless I can't start riding soon.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslbri View Post
I do not run a steering dampener (no need).

Brian
Clip a tree W/O and tell me this. I flattened the bark buster almost flat against my hand, bent the handlebars and twisted the shaft of the stabilizer when I blew a turn. I kept the bike up, something that might not have happened without the unit (GPR).

Randy was nice enough to replace it with no charge. I'll never ride without one again. Honestly I'm pleased with GPR's unit on my EC300.

--Bill.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:46 AM

Same here. To me its a safety device like a helmet or knee brace, saved my ass many times over the years.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ud_luz View Post
Clip a tree W/O and tell me this. I flattened the bark buster almost flat against my hand, bent the handlebars and twisted the shaft of the stabilizer when I blew a turn. I kept the bike up, something that might not have happened without the unit (GPR).

Randy was nice enough to replace it with no charge. I'll never ride without one again. Honestly I'm pleased with GPR's unit on my EC300.

--Bill.

You don't think I clip trees WFO! I've got exhaust pipes, handlebars, bark busters, and mounts to prove it. I spent a desert run of a six days (Chile) where we saw more high speed sand whoops, rocks, and nasty sand washes then one should ever have to see in one lifetime. We rode a river bed (day 3 & 4) for 10+ miles of nothing but basketball sized rocks. (this was on a stock rental GG no less) Minnesota is about as tight as it gets as well. You should ride my personal course. You'll hate trees and rocks after a lap of that and it is only about a mile. I used to ride with steering dampeners (first a WER then a Scotts). Towards the end of me using them, I found I was never comfortable with them on my bike. I kept turning them down until there was nothing there. So I figured what is the point of having this device that does nothing (turned off of course) on my bike. I know, it is just a personal preference, but I still think a guy should have his bike set up to not shake without one initially, then add it for added control if desired. I have no problem with people using them, just not for me.

Check out KTM talk in the cool shots section. Go to hasslbri's boot camp for a few pics. That isn't even to cools stuff in the bottom's. There was too much frost in the ground.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:45 AM

I forgot. I also don't cut down my bars anymore either. I hate narrow bars. Just do the high speed handlebar wag now, ha ha. Even in NJ where the trees go from ATV width to 26" wide after a long straightaway.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thanks for all the replies!
I bought a 2006 Gas Gas EC300.
I really like it and I think it's the best handling bike I have ever ridden.
I need to fix the kickstarter gear and put some heavier springs.
So again, thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

GasGasDreamer

PS-need to change that name!
2014 Beta Evo Factory 300
Old 05-28-2011, 10:40 AM

Default name change

Leave the bunny alone! Love that bunny!