Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:35 PM

The choke richens the mixture. So, with your engine up to normal running temperature, if the RPM rises when you open the choke, then I would assume your pilot circuit (the pilot jet and air screw) is too lean.

From my experience, when my engine is at normal running temperature and sat idling, if I open the choke the engine will stall almost immediately.

Have you tried any different needles yet? How is it running at 25% to 75% throttle?

Old 10-16-2018, 09:05 PM

Thanks a lot for your help Dave. I have not tried new needles yet. I just got my N3CH and NEDW needles in the mail. I put in the NEDW on 3rd clip. I also just pulled the carb apart to check the float. I do not know where exactly to check it. Here is a video. When I hold it at 90 degrees it seems like the float is in a ?neutral? position with the line parallel to the carb body (even though you can?t see it). Is this the position that the float needs to be set? If so it is way less than 16mm so I need to adjust it.
I read about making sure it?s not pushing the pin down that the tang is against but when I rotate it like in the video it seems like the pin always has pressure except when I tilt the carb past 90 and the float falls out.
To adjust the tang do I have to pull it all apart, bend it, and put it back together or can I adjust the tang with it assembled?
Do you know of any good videos or instructions for dummies? This is literally the first carb I?ve taken apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9qvJZ-zdO8
Old 10-16-2018, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

16mm is for the old AS1 carbs which had a deeper bowl. Around 6.5-7.5mm is the sweet spot on the newer AS2 carbs.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:36 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. Do I take the measurement when it falls into that neutral position at 90 degrees?
Old 10-16-2018, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

As you begin to turn it upside down you'll see all the free play of the floats hanging get taken up where no slack is anymore. That's where you want to measure.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:11 AM

Hi Wypipo, just watched your video...

You need to hold the carb up the other way, so that the floats are hanging/swinging on the pivot pin. As the rotate the carb you'll see the tang slowly move towards the spring loaded pin on the float valve.

If you need to adjust the float height then yes, remove the floats from the carb and gently bend the tang, it won't need much.

Cheers, Dave.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:19 AM

So I have my float height properly set. 170 main, NEDW 3rd clip and 42 pilot.
Only gone on one ride since this set up and bike feels great, I am getting closer, and only a small dribble of Spooge. I just checked my spark plug. It?s the same one I?ve had since previous jetting settings. The ride I went on was some pretty tight stuff with no openings. I was in mainly 1st and 2nd the whole time. Looking at my plug the electrode is a dark brown, the ground electrode is a dark brown, the insulator is tan with a tiny spot of dark brown and the flat surface of the threads is gold. On the top right of the picture there is a spot on that surface that is darker and had a bit of a crust. I?m not sure where this crust would come from. Anything that stands out that this plug would indicate? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12573986-2F7A-4AF5-B31C-C86DA2CDD0DE.jpg (7.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg FEFC5B1D-2CC2-44ED-B181-42C749AC0E4B.jpg (64.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-26-2018, 08:32 AM

Glad to hear you're nearly there.

Plug looks good, but to be honest I only use the plug colour to check main jet size after completing a plug chop.

I can only assume the burnt crusty bit is something that's got into the combustion chamber, maybe when you've had the carb apart, I really wouldn't worry about it.

Do you do much wide open throttle riding? I'd so I would try a bigger main jet, just to be safe. I started with a big main jet, that was obviously too rich then came down one size at a time until it pulled WOT cleanly.

It's safer to start big on the main jet then move smaller than other way round.

All the best, Dave.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:45 AM

There are a few races I do where in more WOT but for my weekend trail riding WOT doesn?t happen very often. I have a 172 and 175 on hand that I can swap out. Also with the 42 pilot my AS is only 1 turn out. I tried a 40 and 38 and anything more than a half turn out and it would be super fast idle. Is a too fast idle common for small pilot jets or could there be something else going on?

Would you reccomend 175 or 172 of NEDW needle?
Old 10-26-2018, 10:25 AM

I would definitely try the 175 main jet and see how it runs at WOT, you may find yourself back with the 170 but better to be safe than sorry.

42 pilot 1 turn out sounds good, ideal is 1 to 2 turns out. Yes, a very lean pilot would give you a high/hanging idle, so sounds like your just in the right spot.

I'm sure you must be pleased, it's very rewarding when you get the carb set nicely and can stop thinking about it and concentrate on your riding.