Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 09-07-2013, 10:48 PM

Default New Gas Gas Owner

Hi All,

I'm a new Gas gas owner In Australia, returning to trail bike riding as part of my mid life crisis and because I live near some great country for it.

I was going to go a DRZ400, but found a new old stock/never started 2011 450 for an amazing price with full warranty and a dealer in my area.

When it's going it's fantastic, and gives me all I ever wanted from a trail bike and more.

It's had it's share of little niggly things:

Banging front suspension. Checked the clickers in the bottom of the forks and found them on different settings. Adjusted them both the same plus 2 clicks further out, set front tire pressure at 14PSI. All good, beautiful in fact.

Vapor dash keeps shutting down and fully resetting, new battery no change. looks like junk, I'll have to take it in I guess.

Low fuel light keeps coming on and off, even when full.

Went for an awesome ride today, great single trail stuff through all sorts of tracks with a bunch of riders and the bloody thing shut down and won't start (cranking/fuel pump working).

For the last half hour of the ride it stalled a bit when taking off, then finally stalled and won't start at all.

It looks like it's back to the dealers...

Unless any of you kind fellows would have some suggestions?

I hope it's not a lemon, it's such a cool looking and awesome trailbike.

The lads I were with today were absolutely drooling over it until it shit itself in the middle of the bush and they had to go home and bring back a trailer to retrieve it.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:56 AM

I would use the search function on this board, the 4Ts have had their ECM issues etc. Lots of info on here
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 09-08-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1956 View Post
I would use the search function on this board, the 4Ts have had their ECM issues etc. Lots of info on here
No worries, thank you.

I have searched and read the posts here fairly extensively.

It seems to mostly refer to flooding issues, and I've gone through the motions there with no result.

The plug looks pretty good to me and she was running really well until she stopped.

I've also charged the battery fully with no result either.

Didn't see much about the ECM there though...
Old 09-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

I have a mate who owns an 09 model and had a couple hot starting issues over the year but the bike has done around 10,000kms trouble free.

Do some searching as suggested - specifically in the 4T engine section.. I can move this thread there if you like?

The trailtechs can be sensitive to water.. Keep the hose away from it! I cover mine in a snap bag before washing. Also double check the wiring behind the headlight. When you said its cranking and fuel pump is running, do you have/checked for spark? Flush the fuel tank asap if you haven't already, and run an inline filter (we all do on our 2T's and I imagine the injectors are even more sensitive to dirt). I always use fuel from the jerry can filled through a screened funnel, except when out riding then I fill straight from the bowser, and its amazing how many particles have been caught in the filter.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I have a mate who owns an 09 model and had a couple hot starting issues over the year but the bike has done around 10,000kms trouble free.

Do some searching as suggested - specifically in the 4T engine section.. I can move this thread there if you like?

The trailtechs can be sensitive to water.. Keep the hose away from it! I cover mine in a snap bag before washing. Also double check the wiring behind the headlight. When you said its cranking and fuel pump is running, do you have/checked for spark? Flush the fuel tank asap if you haven't already, and run an inline filter (we all do on our 2T's and I imagine the injectors are even more sensitive to dirt). I always use fuel from the jerry can filled through a screened funnel, except when out riding then I fill straight from the bowser, and its amazing how many particles have been caught in the filter.
Sure mate,

Move this thread if you like.

I've just been on the phone to the dealer and he was alright.

One thing we noted was that the fuel pump was "gurgling" and bubbling.

The top of it was just exposed a but, still 75% full of fuel, and when I was trying to start it there was bubbles coming out of it.

When I got home I filled it up again and no bubbles, etc but no start.

Dealers a good bloke and said that sounded like a bad fuel pump, and to bring it in.

Looks like a "new bike" fault, which hopefully will be sorted and all good after that.

Might be a bit tough to get an inline filter into it, the hose is covered with some kind of braided sheath and has a (handy) quick connect fitting in the middle.

What would be awesome would be a filter that had the same fittings (male and female) so you could just pop it in the middle of that connection.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 PM

Had exactly the same problem on my 06 450, except i had to push it up and down 5kms of rolling hills to get to the car

Got it home and pulled the tank, checked the fuel pump by wiring it up to a little battery - all good.

Cleaned all the electric plugs and put it back together - and what do you know? Started first pop. To this day i still don't know what it was, prob just the ecu plug coming loose under the tank.

Good luck
Old 09-09-2013, 03:21 AM

Sorted!!!

I took it down to our local dealer (Mud&Tar at Wauchope) and he said he's have a look.

As I was about to drive out he called me back.

The throttle body had pulled out of the rubber boot where it joins the head.

We both had a go and just couldn't push it back in, it would not go.

Then we took the boot off and turned it the other way...

It does appear the part was assembled backwards from the factory, as it all slotted together fine and is running well again.

He said he'll put in a claim on the instrument panel for when I bring it back for its first service.

He didn't charge me anything and was a nice bloke.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:39 PM

Was put in backwards from the factory??!!!!
WTF!?
Old 09-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you had a win! Do you know if that company that makes filter socks for the ktms/bergs makes them for gassers too? Thats another option.

Heres hoping you see a very many happy hours riding. My local dealer (Far North Queensland) still has a 2011 450 sitting on the floor which I could probably get for a stellar price, but mmm.. I thnk a new 250T or 200T.. even a 125, would be the next upgrade for me..
Old 09-13-2013, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Glad you had a win! Do you know if that company that makes filter socks for the ktms/bergs makes them for gassers too? Thats another option.

Heres hoping you see a very many happy hours riding. My local dealer (Far North Queensland) still has a 2011 450 sitting on the floor which I could probably get for a stellar price, but mmm.. I thnk a new 250T or 200T.. even a 125, would be the next upgrade for me..
If you're talking about Bits for Bikes in Cairns, that's the one I've got.

And it's being nothing but a pain in the fkn arse.

There's something going on with the whole airbox and rubber either side of the throttle body, this time the airbox pulled off.

It's like it's not made to suit the throttle body, if you tighten the clamp it lust rolls of the throttle body, will not stay on period (yes it's pushed on evenly up to the stops.

The only way I can get it to sit in place is to leave the clamp quite loose, but I don't trust it.

I'm really wondering if they've used parts from a different model at the factory, maybe from the older style injection system they used to run.

Even better, while I was trying to sort this I notice a push on hose fitting On the rubber duct between the airfilter box and throttle body, just behind/below the TB) with nothing on it, sucking straight air from inside the airfilter.

Can't find any sign a a crank breather hose or anything that's meant to be on it, and at the dealers instruction I capped it off with a bit of blanked off hose.

I'm now worried the motor has ingested dust, and rightly don't trust this ride not to break down on me.

It's only done 3-4 hours and I've got all this bullshit so far, I'm thinking I've blown my dough.