Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 10-18-2013, 12:08 AM

Default '06 FSE uncorked........

Well, this is a tough one. First, I've got the stock Krieger and an FMF exhaust. Krieger sounds good is very quiet and looks fantastic. Too bad the bike feels like a 250 with it on. Oh, it has "torque" and "winds out" and one might even think it "powerful" with it on. It does not have a spark arrestor btw although I can't imagine it needs one after seeing the guts! Swapping out for the FMF quickly shows how bad it is.

OK, so as not to leave well enough alone I removed the baffle from the end of the FMF. WOW! I then removed all the packing and guts.....yep, just the pipe going into the body with the end cap without the baffle. Well, it's loud, which I do not care at all about, it has a spark arrestor still in it and the bike feels like I went down a tooth on the front sprocket. I'm real happy at this point, except I hate the way the FMF looks!

So I did it. I gutted the Krieger. It was a bitch. Was worth it. Head pipe into body, body completely empty, end cap on. Looks like stock. It's loud, which I like and works as good as the gutted FMF! Since the FMF has a spark arrestor I can always stick it on if I'm going where I need one.

I like the bike loud because I ride it on the street and don't mind being heard!

I might add, my bike is faster than my buddy's '07 510 Husky in a drag race on pavement. At least up to where we chicken out.........

I'm very, very happy I destroyed my Krieger. It looks good and now it works good. The FMf can be put completely back together, not the Krieger. Which is just fine!
Ed
BTW....I tried just running with the FMF pipe and no muffler. Damn bike would not run! Stalled. Cut off. Stuck FMF muff. back on....back to normal! I'd have loved an open exhaust! I "ruined" the Krieger to get the performance of the gutted FMF and the beauty of it.
EDIT**** She's an '05 not '06!!!!!!!!

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged
Search for the wife's new bike has ended, lowered the 450 and 300....she's got a choice now! We're good!

Last edited by houndog; 10-18-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: because I'm an idiot.......

Old 10-18-2013, 02:11 AM

My first gasser was a new '05 fse450 carry over I bought in '06. It had the Krieger installed, but was removed when the Fmf arrived with spark arrestor. I was bummed because the Krieger was a beautiful piece. We need spark arresters here, it's the law and so dry most of the year.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 10-18-2013, 10:27 AM

flybars, yeah, that Kreiger really is pretty. We have to have arrestors in the forest too. The FMF was easy to gut and still leave the SA in it, so I did. It'll be fine for the forest and it has the extra power from being opened up. I just hate the way it looks, thrilled with how it performs.

You know, I got thinking...the Kreiger may have had an arrestor! Mine came with some little cylinder thingy that went in the pipe. I assumed it was a catalytic unit of some type but maybe it was for sparks?

I've got an aftermarket arrestor that I think I can install in the end cap. I'll look into that. If stopped in the forest they look for the writing but if there is no writing indicating one they will stick a stick in the end to see if there is anything there. I think I can pass that test with out restricting the thing. I'll find out.
Ed

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged
Search for the wife's new bike has ended, lowered the 450 and 300....she's got a choice now! We're good!
Old 11-06-2013, 11:00 AM

Nick had some approved arrestor end caps made for the Krieger muffler. It might be worth contacting him to see if he has any left. I liked the quietness from it as you could sneak up on anyone with it but the performance suffers. I added about 10 to the fuel load adjustment when modded I think.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:51 PM

Thanks Qui-gon. I'm a little "different" and my posts sort of reflect that . I actually prefer the noise. Since I ride (a lot) on the street and dirt roads I want others to hear me! "Red Ginger" has always ran just fine but not spectacular. Throttle response was crisp, fuel economy ok, plug always looks perfect and she pulled to redline smoothly and easily. I just did not realize how choked she was until I pulled the baffle tube (?) out the end of the FMF. Noticeable increase in power across the rpm range. Then I gutted it except for spark arrestor. Damn! Now we're talking! What was odd was that the bike barely ran with just the head pipe. Stalled, no idle. Like I said, I HATE the way the FMF looks and love the Krieger. The increase in performance with the FMF gutted made the decision to gut the Krieger a no brainer. Turns out it was a GREAT move. "Red Ginger" now runs and sounds like what a high performance 4 stroke should. She's faster in a drag race than Mac's 510 Husky. Sounds better too.

They both (FMF and Krieger) now sound good (and loud) and the performance is about the same. In stock form the Krieger compared to the FMF was a joke. Gutted they are equal.

The plan is if when I go to the forest where I need a SA I'll just slip the FMF on. When "styling" around the big town of Gilbert I'll always have my pretty Kreiger on. They can hear me coming and when they look I'll look cool

I realize noise is an issue for some but where I live and ride it's not and I'm happy for that!
Ed
p.s.....I can never remember how to spell "Krieger" so I spell it both ways..."Kreiger and Krieger"...brain damage and all that...........

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged
Old 11-10-2013, 10:38 PM

Here is a vid. of "Red Ginger" and the gutted Krieger. I have no explanation as to why it is so much louder on the return trip. Wife says it's like that in "reality"!WTF?
Ed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGi4snlUAaQ

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged