Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:07 PM

Default Opinions on a 2011 EC250

Hi all.

I'm new here, and new to Gas Gas - meaning I've never owned one before, but the more I read the more I like them. I've been off riding for a few years, and looking for a bike to get my back into it. I'm hoping I can get some opinions before I buy.

I've found this 2011 EC250 with 145.5 hours on the dash:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=1413289397

Being in New Zealand there aren't a ton of bikes for sale to choose from (I'd love one with electric start), I like this one because:
- Low seat height (I'm 5'7")
- 2 Stroke, Light and Nimble

My last bike was a crf250x - no complaints, just always felt like it was a bit of a heavy pig. Keen to get something lighter and nimble as I like stuff like tricky climbs and single track.

My concerns are:
- Is that a high number of hours for these bikes? I don't want to buy a bike near the end of it's life.
- I'm not a super-experienced rider, is this going to be a huge step up from the crf in terms of peaky power delivery?
- I've done some reading and from what I can gather, parts aren't too hard to source if you're prepared to do some research, does that sound about right? I have the added challenge of living at the arse-end of the world, so getting stuff shipped can be tricky too.
- I like to do my own work on my bikes, and keeping them in top shape. Is it possible to get a proper workshop service manual for these bikes?
- Is it practical (i.e. not eye-wateringly expensive) to fit electric start? I think I read about some bikes having it fitted.

Sorry about the long novel, I appreciate any input given.

Cheers
Julian in NZ

Old 10-04-2017, 10:29 PM

Hi Julian, welcome to the forum.

That bike looks like it's been fairly well looked after and 145 hours isn't a lot. There are guys on here with bikes with well over 500 hours that are still going strong.

The Gassers are known for having a nice broad spread of power for a 2 stroke so you shouldn't have any real issues converting from a 4 stroke.

There are some members on here in NZ who could give you a better idea of parts availability over there but you can get most parts from the internet if you need to. There are a couple of sites in Spain who can deliver to Australia within 7 days.

www.motocrosscenter.com

www.greenlandmx.com

There is a service manual in a pdf form that was made for the 2005 or 2006 bikes but nothing much has changed engine wise since then. There used to be a link to it online somewhere but if you can't find it someone on here can email it to you. Here is a link to it on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/gasgastips/...118482/?type=3

I believe that an electric start can be added to the 2011 bikes but it would probably cost you over $1000 for the parts. Here is is a link to a U.S.site. https://www.ktm-parts.com/EE855002510.html

There is a wealth of knowledge on this site so feel free to ask any questions.

Phil
Old 10-05-2017, 12:46 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

The hours aren't too serious if it has been properly maintained. My 2010 has about 350 I think. Ask the owner when last he did a top end to see if you need to include that in the cost (I did one every 100hrs and bottom at 300 - bottom could have carried on for another 100 according to my mechanic)

It will be a big difference to the crf (especially if the crf was stock standard) but within a month of riding you will notice this as a good change. I use my bike mostly in what would be considered extreme technical rides and it is fine.

The 2011s came out with the option of electric start so you may be able to source one from a part-out bike but it is no problem using the kickstart... it is not a 4t
Old 10-05-2017, 02:33 AM

Awesome, thanks for your input. I'm feeling better about it now, going to see it tomorrow.

Having the workshop manual makes me happy - I'm confident to tackle stuff with that on hand. I'll give it a good going over and see what kind of life it's had.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:38 AM

Default Location

Hi Julian where a bouts in nz are you ??
Old 10-05-2017, 02:47 AM

Hi Tony - sunny Tauranga.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:48 AM

If anyone else is looking for the workshop manual, here's a higher resolution version I found in the comments on that Facebook post:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/38...tml#product-EC
Old 10-05-2017, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

I had/have a 2010 model as well. Solid little bike.. I can't recall the exact hours I put on it, but it'd be up over 300hrs, with the crank rebuilt at 260hrs (done purely for maintenance).

If it's been well maintained I don't think you'll have any issues. Pretty bomb proof little units. You may want to double check the specs on what you have though as a there were several models released with varying suspension setups.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the electric leg, but that's just me personally. Once the bike is dialled in it should start easily and be pretty resilient to stalling. Every now and then you get caught out somewhere difficult, but that happens and saves having to maintain the starter setup.

It looks pretty tidy, but I'd be asking why there is a new cylinder and piston in it? Has it been swimming etc? I wouldn't expect to wear out a bore in 145hrs unless if it's been drowned or dusted, and then I'd be considering what damage may have occurred in the bottom end.

I'm in Australia, and I think the price might be a bit steep for a Gasser. They're usually a fair whack cheaper than the competition to buy new, and known for not holding their value well at all.

And finally, the side stand in the pic looks after market The tab on the frame is known to snap off if owners let the stand return under it's own force too often.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:24 AM

As far as the electric start I have destroyed knees. 3 surgeries on the right including a partial replacement and 2 surgeries on the left. I know I'll eventually need electric start however mine starts great and easy with the kicker

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Old 10-05-2017, 12:14 PM

The 2011 is a good "average" bike. Not really a light bike, it's heavy for a 2T. Goes well enough and can be tuned for lugging or screaming. The best feature is that it's a bit more compact than other bikes. The suspension is adequate and can be made better with valving. It makes a good trail bike, but it's not special enough to command a high price. Resale can be poor so buy carefully. A GG will still be running long after popular brands have been parted out.