Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default 2013 cartridge air filter.

Any word on what happened to the cartridge air filter for 2012? Still something they might be working on?

OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Old 03-06-2012, 04:35 PM

I can't envision how a sliding air filter would ever work. Maybe if it swung into place. The 2012 airbox looks ridiculously skinny. My 07 air box is a pain to wrestle a filter into. The 2012 looks like it is an inch thinner.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:23 PM

After looking in the '12 airbox, I'm seriously considering passing on a '12. Some may think that's silly, but when you have 15 minutes to do two tires and a filter change, stuff like that makes a difference. I will monitor what is happening, and certainly a modified seat stay, in place of the battery box that can be quickly removed would be fine, but my '08 has no issues(not to mention perfectly set up suspension, pegs, bars, RB designs head and carb, etc......), and a filter swap is easy as pie. For sure, I'll be going to the qualifiers on my current bike. Then to decide whether to buy in June or rent in Germany, or if I don't qualify, wait for the '13.

Funny, I had the new bike bug so bad three weeks ago I almost bought a KTM 250 SX. The dealer sold it though before I made up my mind, then I got to thinking how much money it takes to get a bike where mine is now... $$$$$$$$$$$
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 03-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Roosty, my dealer show'd me an email with some piccies when I was in there the other day. If you use clutch pivot point bolts and take the heads off them you then end up with 4 locating lugs for the battery box. Simple lift out, and drop back in. Its still a few more seconds when you're under the clock though.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:05 PM

I can see an ISDE-style issue with the filter, but for me, and the rest of us non-super-dudes, not a problem.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:16 PM

I'm happy they stuck with the foam filter until they could figure out a proper clamping cage for the flat filter (I've had slide-in filters on Yamaha XTs and SRXs and they leave something to be desired).

Once you get the lunchbox out of the way the airbox itself is deceptively large. Two issues present themselves - the new tank has more overhang making it a little difficult to seat the filter, and there are myriad sharp plastic edges to nibble at your wrists and forearms. OK, a third - the screws on the battery box can be a little difficult if the clearance features in the bodywork aren't lined up correctly.

The good news is that there are no longer ribs on the seat to dig into and tear the top of the filter and the box itself seems bigger - no CDI in residence. You also get a set of Twin Air vents to put in the box side if you so desire.

Hopefully Mark gets the cross-brace/seat tab pieces in soon - I think you can remove the filter with that in place.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 03-06-2012, 08:13 PM

It will be a breeze with the piece that Mark posted. This 2012 is a beautiful bike.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:05 PM

I'm happy they bailed on that idea for now. It doesn't take much dirt to wreck a motor. The idea seems very similar to what is done for the cabin air filter in my Toyota Tundra. Slides out fine, but drops some larger pieces of debris in the ductwork that collect on the edges of the filter frame. If they keep the dirty side down though that should not be a problem. A static, compressed seal is much easier and more reliable. If they pull off a good design it will be a feat, hats off to them. It will be an advantage to the six days guys for sure.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Roosty, my dealer show'd me an email with some piccies when I was in there the other day. If you use clutch pivot point bolts and take the heads off them you then end up with 4 locating lugs for the battery box. Simple lift out, and drop back in. Its still a few more seconds when you're under the clock though.
I really like this idea. Probably more simple and less expensive than the replacement plate! Thanks for the suggestion. Sometimes we overthink things.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 03-07-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
I really like this idea. Probably more simple and less expensive than the replacement plate! Thanks for the suggestion. Sometimes we overthink things.
I'd still buy this:

http://2tracing.it/ricambi-gas-gas/n...sella-ec-2012/

My 300R is waiting for TTX shock from ohlins factory.

When it hurts you know you're allive!

Gas Gas EC 300 Factory Racing 2012
- Ohlins TTX both front and rear
- Rekluse Core EXP 2.0 + Rekluse clutch basket
- Scalvini full exhaust system
- S3 Head
- Trusty adjustable PV cover

That was ultimate setup for me...
Now trying something else for a while...