Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Team Smitty!

Old 03-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default Trail Rider

Hey! Trail Rider is a great mag. Plus my father in-law is the printing account manger for them. He took my old Trail Rider mag and contacted them. I can get spare copies but I still choice to buy them. Got to help out the little guys!
Old 03-24-2009, 07:01 AM
Site Sponsor

I think the last test they did one of thier negatives of the GG was that it wasn't a four stroke! That is the reason I ride a GG beacuse it's not a four stroke! Dorks! The only magazines I buy now are VMX from AU , Classic Motorcycle from USA and I was buying Motorcyclist Retro until they pulled the plug. Old School Yea Baby!!!
'07 EC300 sold
'06 EC300 sold
'78 Suzuki RM250C2
'75 Yamaha YZ250B sold
Old 03-24-2009, 07:39 AM

Trail Rider has tested several GGs in the past and the reports have been positive. Overall they like GGs. What is especially good (for me) about Trail Rider is they are based in ECEA and NETRA territory, and test the bikes here. They park next to you at the races and are regular no BS guys.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:03 AM

Default Odd One Out

I must be the odd one out here because I really enjoy DirtRider since Jimmy Lewis came on board. Jimmy seems like a good guy he has raced 6-Days, Dakar, and countless other races. Dirt Rider now seems to be catering more to the weekend warrior with thier buck 25 and $3000 race bike articles. I also like the fact that they now do long haul testing and get real world people to write articles, and I can't think of how many times I have used the how to articles when servicing my bike. But this one Canadians opinion. Now FOX News that is another story......lol
Old 03-25-2009, 06:52 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I have enjoyed Dirt Rider over the years. I am getting bored of all the shootouts though, but I guess they have to do it.

Jimmy did start out with a very favorable view of GasGas, but the few that they have had in the magazine over that last 5 years had mixed reviews at best. The worst part is the reviews/criticisms make no sense to us, the guys that ride them. It like some of the comments come from left field like they never even rode the bike.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:53 AM

It is unfortunate that GGs get poor reviews in magazine tests. But that is due in part to how the tests are done. The big lumbering 4Ts and the overweight jap enduro bikes and the rocketship 4T MX conversions don't thrash the rider for short sprint tests feels quite similar when jumping from bike to bike. A more realistic test (to those of us that ride offroad / mud / ISDE type stuff) would be to have folks ride the bikes over a variety or terrain for 10 hrs, then the GG 2Ts would rise to the top. For a 10 minute special test, my Husaberg 496 is hard to beat, but for a 3hr plus race, it wears on me.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:34 PM

My 470 Husaberg was an absolute MACHINE, but yes in about 11 minutes it would chew me up and spit me out. Funny think is, my 515 was every bit as powerful (except on the very top) and I could ride that bike in the tightest nastiest crap for hours. I still love the 300 though. For an all around bike I would never trade it for anything.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm_enduro View Post
It is unfortunate that GGs get poor reviews in magazine tests. But that is due in part to how the tests are done. The big lumbering 4Ts and the overweight jap enduro bikes and the rocketship 4T MX conversions don't thrash the rider for short sprint tests feels quite similar when jumping from bike to bike. A more realistic test (to those of us that ride offroad / mud / ISDE type stuff) would be to have folks ride the bikes over a variety or terrain for 10 hrs, then the GG 2Ts would rise to the top. For a 10 minute special test, my Husaberg 496 is hard to beat, but for a 3hr plus race, it wears on me.