Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

The only recent wiring schematics are for the E start models.

Not 100% sure that it connects to the yellow straight from the stator, but its deinitely connected into the yellow circuit.

I haven't checked the reg from the old bike. The new regulator I received had a different number stamped on the side, but both are leoneli 12V AC regs, both 2 wire.

The 2010/13 both appear wired in the same way where it feels from the harness to the chasis and is grounded against the frame, mounted behind the rhs rad.

I should probably disconnect the reg/remove the ground and test the voltage unregulated.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I should probably disconnect the reg/remove the ground and test the voltage unregulated.
Its a lot, cant remember the number though. always more than double the regulated amount, rises quickly with revs.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:54 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Queer. So where are you measuring this 20v? Does the regulator perhaps require insertion in a different place if it is acting through the headlight? Heck I haven't gotten around to reconnecting mine (light) so I've never checked.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 04-01-2015, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sure it goes over 20V when holding it pinned. A few turns of the throttle easily see 20V (with headlight turned off)

Like rubber johnny, my headlight had blew the complete side out of it. Glass spread everywhere. So while it seems to read 14V on the stand, I think its likely overvolting still, but the headlight is just drawing the excess volts away to a certain degree.

Have confirmed the earth, have tried 2 regs. Part of me wonders if it'll work with the blinkers connected. Wouldn't be surprised if it needs a full circuit..
Old 04-01-2015, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

I've measured the voltage at the red wire that feeds to the trailtech, at a yellow terminal for the horn, and at the regulator itself.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:26 AM

My bike never had blinkers fitted you don't need them to be road legal on a dirt bike in Europe. It should work without them.

this is how they come in the UK, 100% road legal as in the pic. you only need blinkers and all the other stuff on bike that carry a passenger. All it has from new is headlight with high and low, tail light, brake light and horn. I know other people with the same bike who don't have blinkers and do not have regulator problems so you can rule that theory out.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

I find it hard to believe we all have faulty regulators though. A bad batch possibly, but then a bad trail tech reg too. Has to be something else going on. I might try disconnecting as much of the loom as possible and see if I can narrow it down some.

Bloody big list of things going on at the moment though.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:17 AM

Not sure if this is relevant or not but on my 11' the Trailtech starts to flicker on high revs . I also recently lost the mid beam on my front light, high beam still works but I never measured the voltage. Could this have something to do with the cabling ? I changed the stock/road legal to the simpler model .
Old 04-02-2015, 10:31 AM

We know the voltage will increase with RPMs. Nothing new here. If we assume that the regulator is in the correct yellow circuit (from the stator), the only thing left is the unit itself.

It's not a matter of current, the problem is excess voltage. If you have a big enough load on the sytem, you can pull the voltage down. This isn't much good because a high wattage bulb will barely glow at idle.

That makes me believe that the regulator itself does not have the capacity to clip the voltage properly. As I recall Rubber Johnny used an aftermarket regulator and still had some trouble. I think his issue was mostly a bad ground so the regulator was not in the circuit.

If Jake tries the 2010 regulator on the newer bike that might tell us if the unit has changed. If there is no difference, has the stator been changed?

What about the frame construction of the newer bikes? Is there a ground path problem? Was the ground better on the older bikes because of the head stays?
Old 04-02-2015, 10:45 AM

building off what Neil said, and with little to none experience with vehicle electronics could it be a bad ground? What if the powder coat is not conductive enough?