GasGas Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   GasGas Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Off Road Racer's Corner

Off Road Racer's Corner ISDE, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, etc.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-14-2018, 02:12 PM
VxZeroKnots's Avatar
VxZeroKnots VxZeroKnots is offline
Gold Level Site Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus_Flat View Post
Agreed, though I am curious to hear more details. I have little doubt that Cody Webb wouldn't have still beaten the field, likely by a large margin, but I am hearing that there was a bit of a debacle with the missed checkpoint #2. Basically every pro but David Kamo missed it. Apparently several riders later went back to cross the check after learning that they had missed it. There was some confusion about whether or not checks needed to be completed in order, and I never heard if cody ended up going through that check or not. But I read that some riders claimed to have expended upwards of 45 minutes getting back to the missed check, but at the time of turning back, were not far off of Cody's pace.

Unfortunate circumstances and it would be interesting to see what the written rule (if any) is on this matter for KOM.
There is no written rulebook, it's pretty seat of the pants rule wise. In previous years missing a check was a DQ, this year I guess it was a penalty which I'm sure was covered in the riders meeting but if you've ever been to a KOM riders meeting they are a bit hard to follow. Just look at some of the top five pro rider's instagram posts and read between the lines to get an idea of the "organization"

IMO no one finished that race 100% but they had to award results to someone...

In three years this was my first time not finishing and honestly I think it's kind of BS that anyone who didn't ride all the course and get all the checks would be considered a finisher. No one does this shit for participation trophies.

I love the event and consider any personal failures incurred during participation my responsibility but the event could go a long ways with some simple changes to make things more clear to the competitors.

Is James Flynn the youngster riding for Moto Center? If so we rode most of this race together both the night and the long race and made the same dumb mistakes. He was also pitted next to us at the Rev Limiter. Cool kid and cool family, if he sticks with it he'll make a name for himself.


Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 02-14-2018, 03:17 PM
Cactus_Flat Cactus_Flat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
There is no written rulebook, it's pretty seat of the pants rule wise. In previous years missing a check was a DQ, this year I guess it was a penalty which I'm sure was covered in the riders meeting but if you've ever been to a KOM riders meeting they are a bit hard to follow. Just look at some of the top five pro rider's instagram posts and read between the lines to get an idea of the "organization"

IMO no one finished that race 100% but they had to award results to someone...

In three years this was my first time not finishing and honestly I think it's kind of BS that anyone who didn't ride all the course and get all the checks would be considered a finisher. No one does this shit for participation trophies.

I love the event and consider any personal failures incurred during participation my responsibility but the event could go a long ways with some simple changes to make things more clear to the competitors.

Is James Flynn the youngster riding for Moto Center? If so we rode most of this race together both the night and the long race and made the same dumb mistakes. He was also pitted next to us at the Rev Limiter. Cool kid and cool family, if he sticks with it he'll make a name for himself.
Thanks a ton for the insight, I do appreciate it. I definitely had looked at riders posts, and most just said that they had nothing to say, which indicated to me they were not happy with some aspects. Max Gerston made it pretty clear he would have liked to say some things, but he mostly kept it to himself when getting his 3rd place trophy.

It does put declaring a winner in a weird spot when you have someone miss a check but ride the "entire" course, but have others who made the check but didn't get as far. It raises a bunch of what ifs, and even during the live coverage Jimmy Lewis said that any rider who completes all checks is ahead of a rider who does not (with no mention of penalties). But then again Cody was the only one who made it out for the (shortened) final loop so he surely made more checks than anyone else, but I think a 15 minute penalty was generous looking at that section that was missed.

A couple guys in my riding group went out and did it, and I still need to get the run down from them. One of them actually won the long race for amateurs so it would be interesting to get their take. It seems like it could go a long way to have some rules written down beforehand and not have sections of the course running so close to each other with people racing by GPS. Jimmy says he'd not trying to trick anyone, but it's easy to see how the check got missed and how people ended up backward on the course with how it was laid out. But navigation is the name of the game.

And yes, James Flynn is young gun riding the Moto Center XC250. If he continues at the current rate, he'll be dicing with the pros soon enough. I don't know them personally, but rode with him and his dad in a big group about a year and a half ago just before his first season in A class in AMRA. He was pretty good then, but his skills have skyrocketed since, and now he's battling for top 10 overalls locally with some very talented guys. Definitely a cool family from what I experienced, as well
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-14-2018, 03:29 PM
VxZeroKnots's Avatar
VxZeroKnots VxZeroKnots is offline
Gold Level Site Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus_Flat View Post
Thanks a ton for the insight, I do appreciate it. I definitely had looked at riders posts, and most just said that they had nothing to say, which indicated to me they were not happy with some aspects. Max Gerston made it pretty clear he would have liked to say some things, but he mostly kept it to himself when getting his 3rd place trophy.

It does put declaring a winner in a weird spot when you have someone miss a check but ride the "entire" course, but have others who made the check but didn't get as far. It raises a bunch of what ifs, and even during the live coverage Jimmy Lewis said that any rider who completes all checks is ahead of a rider who does not (with no mention of penalties). But then again Cody was the only one who made it out for the (shortened) final loop so he surely made more checks than anyone else, but I think a 15 minute penalty was generous looking at that section that was missed.

A couple guys in my riding group went out and did it, and I still need to get the run down from them. One of them actually won the long race for amateurs so it would be interesting to get their take. It seems like it could go a long way to have some rules written down beforehand and not have sections of the course running so close to each other with people racing by GPS. Jimmy says he'd not trying to trick anyone, but it's easy to see how the check got missed and how people ended up backward on the course with how it was laid out. But navigation is the name of the game.

And yes, James Flynn is young gun riding the Moto Center XC250. If he continues at the current rate, he'll be dicing with the pros soon enough. I don't know them personally, but rode with him and his dad in a big group about a year and a half ago just before his first season in A class in AMRA. He was pretty good then, but his skills have skyrocketed since, and now he's battling for top 10 overalls locally with some very talented guys. Definitely a cool family from what I experienced, as well
Yup you nailed it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-15-2018, 01:12 AM
Archibald Archibald is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 30
Default

Vxzeroknots are you going to the NHHA at superstition mtns? I'll be there as a spectator. I'd like to meet you sometime.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-15-2018, 08:33 AM
CDN Rick's Avatar
CDN Rick CDN Rick is offline
Silver Level Site Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Niagara, Ontario
Posts: 400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
Vxzeroknots are you going to the NHHA at superstition mtns? I'll be there as a spectator. I'd like to meet you sometime.
I'd don't know if I'd ever want to meet him.. I'm afraid I'd be demoralized when I see how well he can ride compared to my tepid attempts.
__________________
2018 GasGas EnduroGP250
2006 GasGas TXT 200
2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCA
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-15-2018, 09:51 AM
VxZeroKnots's Avatar
VxZeroKnots VxZeroKnots is offline
Gold Level Site Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
Vxzeroknots are you going to the NHHA at superstition mtns? I'll be there as a spectator. I'd like to meet you sometime.
Damn, I wish! I'm already committed to a Ryan Young trials class that weekend.

I'm even worse in person anyway. Wanting to make Round 4 and 5 though. Rounds 3 would be way cool but I need to take a break from bike prepping for a minute...
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 Stoby General Discussions & Announcements 23 04-18-2018 05:07 PM
New 2018 300 markwoodlief Enduro Product Reviews 31 04-18-2018 05:06 PM
2018 250's nhgas General Discussions & Announcements 1 09-22-2017 05:17 AM
Noah Kepple Jacob 'Berg Off Road Racer's Corner 4 03-03-2017 11:47 AM




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - GasGasRider.org