Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:10 AM

Also, the GG comes with heavier tubes, and a decent factory skidplate. The 12/13 GG's are so easy to ride and stable, it's almost ridiculous. Never rode a bike that holds a line so well.
I have '12 250 ES and can't stop raving about it(over 25 hrs on it now). I'm coming from a well setup, Reklused Husky TXC310,(which is a very good bike IMO). It hasn't seen any ride time since the GG was put into service.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:33 AM

i would definitly arrange a rideo n both bikes before i made a purchase. i have been riding a 2011 300 six days but recently bought a new 2012 ktm 300 xc.
and after about 2000.00 in accessories and setup i just couldnt get used to the bike. for some reason i never felt comfortable, the front end was sketchy at best, the motor wasnt as smooth and the ergonomics were just all off for me.

im not saying the ktm isnt as good as the gasgas but it certaintly didnt work for me.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:57 AM

Many, many guys ride the orange bikes very fast and just keep buying them year after year. I guess they just get used to the handling and think thats the way bikes should be and everything else is wrong. I am not one of those guys. Word on the street is the KTMs still need 20mm clamps to turn. Also, some comments from the demo rides at the national enduro in PA were that the lighter 2stroke KTMs felt very twitchy and disconnected, four strokes much better. I've had some minor issues with my '12 but things are settling down now and I had a great day on it yesterday, rode some of the nastiest trail I could find and looked for more! If I had to say one thing that sets it apart from other bikes its the ability to steer very well and still be so stable. No accessory clamps needed, just a breakin and fork service. I trail ride some pretty extreme stuff, more technical than you will find in an enduro, and the bike goes where I point it. I think all I need now is a linkage skid but in most terrain this is a non-issue. Its no lower than a Husky or Yamaha and certainly higher than the new KTM linkage. The added ground clearance is evident as the skid plate rarely touches down.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
The added ground clearance is evident as the skid plate rarely touches down.
I noticed the added ground clearance yestereday. I had always dragged my toes with my '05 and never hit them at all yesterday.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:32 AM
Banned

Brad,
On the GG you get a spark arrestor and map switch which will cost you $250 to put on the KTM. I will send you a new seat foam and cover from Enduro Engineering when they have them in stock at no cost to you. I think you will love the GG. The handling alone will amaze you. Our bike weighs more than the orange bikes CLAIMED weight but it is not as much as some people would have you believe. You will need to put heavier springs on either bike but you will not need to re-valve the suspension on your GG.
Also, if you buy a GG you will get the help and knowledge of a great group of very experienced riders on this forum.
Clay
Old 08-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

If you like the feel of your klx, you will find the ktm strange, the gas gas feels like much more like a jap bike, bit narrower than kwakas and turns like a Suzuki.
Klx 450s are very stable, rigid framed and softly sprung old school Kawasaki offload bikes that everyone feels comfortable on. Ktm 2 strokes have a sensational motors wrapped up in a nervous chassis (especially the front end) that will feel worlds away from your klx. Meh... You'll still buy the kato... And like it cause it's orange, but always wonder.

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha
Old 08-27-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpelaston View Post
probably 10-15 lbs
So "probably" is the key here, I haven't read real world numbers yet.

It's either someone doesn't want the real numbers to be known or GG owners are having so much fun riding their bikes they don't have the time to weight it

I just wanted to know what all the bitching is about, if it's indeed 10-15lbs difference that's nothing IMO.

And I'm a KTM rider but I see a GG in my future
Old 08-27-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyTVS View Post
So "probably" is the key here, I haven't read real world numbers yet.

It's either someone doesn't want the real numbers to be known or GG owners are having so much fun riding their bikes they don't have the time to weight it

I just wanted to know what all the bitching is about, if it's indeed 10-15lbs difference that's nothing IMO.

And I'm a KTM rider but I see a GG in my future
Here is the official real world thread- http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12837

The scale might say more but the ride always says LESS.....
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 08-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default New bike

Just to add my two cents. I have a 06-300 GG. It probably has over 50 races on it as well as countless hours of hard trail riding and practice on our local tracks. It has never,repeat never let me down. Each winter I go over it and replace any worn or suspect parts. Usually very minor. One new piston in 6 years, same clutch, same wheels, never had the cases apart. I had a orange bike previous to that and couldn't keep it together. Couldn't keep it on the track either, the GG handling is in another league in my opinion. The only bike I would upgrade to would be a 12-300 GG, and only because I hear they feel a bit bigger. I'm 6-4,220 dry, and although my 06 is set up for me a little extra room would be nice. I race on a tight budget and just love rolling my 6 year old bike up to the line next to all the new shiny orange ones knowing its every bit as good.
Buy a GG, ride it, race it, love it.

Dave

GG 06-300
Ltr suspension
RB head,carb mods
Scott's steering stabilizer
Tall seat
Tubliss tire inserts
Pivot pegs
Flexx bars
Old 08-27-2012, 12:52 PM

Rememer that nothing is "free". Its an engineering trade off. This is just logic and applies to much more than bikes. Just something to think about depending on your use and expected lifespan.