Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Site Sponsor

Default brand X vs gg

I am in a position of opportunity as I work as the US parts distributor for GasGas parts and I get to work with dealers from a manufacturing aspect. Plus at my shop we sell and service "brand X" atv's, side x sides, and snowmobiles. So I would like to share a comparison on the two companies from my perspective and keep in mind, this is just my opinion, it doesn't mean I am right and your wrong. It doesn't mean I am trying to make excuses as I know things could be better from our end.

"X" and GG are very similar to me. Both very small companies trying to grab a share of the big market. GasGas trying to grab some KTM market, while "X" trying to grab Polaris market. In order to succeed they need to be a product that is as Clay would say %110 percent and their effort needs to be %110 to make you want to change. I am sure everyone will figure out brand X, they are doing a much poorer job that GasGas and I believe the people at GasGas want a bike of %110!

Their atv's haven't changed since 2007 except the price continues to rise. They introduced a brand new 2012 snowmobile line up that was obviously tested less than the 2012 GasGas airbox design. I couldn't count the number of recalls, updates, and all around failures on new sleds that left our shop. The 13's were much better so I expect the 14's to have all or most of the problems solved (just like GasGas).

Now here is the big one. Brand X makes a side x side to compete against the Ranger (heck, everyone is making side x sides, I hope GG doesn't get idea's into their heads). My shop is in a small community and there has been a Polaris dealer here for 20 years, while I have been here for just over 7. The "X" model for years was only bucket seats, while Polaris was running away with it all on their bench seating rangers. Finally 2012 (5 years behind) "X" had a bench seat so 2012 was my best year ever. For my small area I sold 12 units, very happy, made some money to pay some bills. In the last 6 months I have seen 11 of these 12 units back in my shop and some more than once for failures. All of these units have seen a clutch spring failure that if not covered under warranty would cost the consumer over $900 to repair. Some of these units were sold under a 6 month warranty and even though "X" knows its a problem I have yet to get coverage on 2 units because its past warranty. The other customers that did have it repaired really don't want to use their $13,000 investment because they are afraid with will break again, this time out of warranty. Yet "X" tells us, once they have a solution that it will be an update, not a recall. Needless to say, that I haven't sold a new unit in 3 months and am now currently paying interest on 8 new units sitting here that no one wants to buy until the issue is resolved! "X" maybe has a fix now but I have been so ticked off at their lack of effort, I haven't spoken to them in over a month.

So when I see the posts on here about issues with GasGas, I do know that Clay and I both have tried to exceed expectations, to help give the %110 needed. We are trying to get the factory to do the same. I would rather see GG concentrate on their 2 stroke line up, make it solid and make it %110 than spend the money on a yamagas, or the Dakar rally.

I hope we do get sales of GasGas to flourish and exceed all other brands in the US and I think we still will, that 2012 quality bike was a little bump in the road. I could then concentrate on GG totally, go to races, meet all the great people in this country, and just smile at people when they ask what I think about atv brands.....

Old 06-30-2013, 09:59 AM

Has brand X designed a fix for the reverse problems on the sleds that actually works yet?
16' Specialized Fatboy trail
02' ZRX 1200r R.I.P.
72' Olds 500ci, Batten Heads, Street/Drag car, former CarCraft magazine centerfold (has-been)
15' TW200
Old 06-30-2013, 05:59 PM

Whats an ATV?
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 06-30-2013, 07:16 PM

Thanks for the comparison. I am a sled rider (Polaris) too. The housing market debacle may pale in comparison to where the sled industry is headed. We get amazingly light and brilliant handling machines that are constantly breaking. I've been lucky and never come home on the hook, but I can't say that for most of my riding partners, regardless of brand. The old carbed Polaris 800 triple mountain sleb setting in the garage is looking more attractive every day (assuming I can replace the crank, which has 12,000+ miles on it). Point is, the used market is a shambles because once they come off warranty, it's a craps shoot.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:32 PM

Mark I have only been a GasGas owner for a short time and got into them over the ktms from a friends suggestion. Also luck was on gasgas's side that I found a Gasgas with a title before I found a Ktm. Anyways from the limited time I have had the bike, just over two months now, I have observed an extremely helpful community and a more supportive factory then 99% of the motorcycle manufacturers out there. The fact that GasGas even listens to you and the people on this forum is amazing. It shows a real desire to help make a better product. My street bike is a Ducati and I don't know if anyone is familiar with the ethanol causing plastic tanks to expand fiasco. But you know what it took for Ducati to finally do anything and admit a problem? They had to be taken to court for over a year and then in the end all we got was another smaller plastic tank that would eventually expand the same way as the previous one but because its smaller it wouldn't cause any problems hopefully. It was a half ass fix for something that affected every single Ducati with a plastic tank, and generally the Ducati dealer network sucks for where I live except for one shop hours away.

So back to gasgas, I'm happy with it and the support so far please keep up the great work and tell the company we appreciate them working with you to make things right. Of course I still wouldn't mind a free upgrade kit for the subframe but hey I'll take the one that is practically at cost and is an actual fix, if or when I break the plastic subframe.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:11 PM

Whats a side x side? A milkshake at SteaknShake?

http://www.steaknshake.com/menu/lunc...de-milk-shakes

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 07-01-2013, 09:57 AM

Mark and Clay
I have only owned my gasser a short time and am very pleased with it also. I have been following the subframe issue because I an a big guy and like what you have put together. I have done nothing to this bike that I haven't done to any other that I have owned, see my name if you have any droughts of brand. This was one of the fastest adjustments bike that I have ever owned. Not to no time it ride it fast. Thanks again for all your support
03 H-D Nightrain
www.newoodsriders.com
You Can't Out Run Death Forever
But You Can Make the BASTARD Work For It!
Enjoy Life, Have Fun and Play Hard
Old 07-01-2013, 01:32 PM

If other importers had the same attitude as Clay and Mark GG would be in better shape. But it's easy to understand that without factory support it's hard to really achieve best customer service. GG Factory should really understand this...