Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > GasGas Member Polls

GasGas Member Polls Find out what everyone thinks about it!

View Poll Results: Quieter Silencer
Yes I would like a quieter silencer 33 86.84%
No I am not interested 0 0%
I am happy the way it is 2 5.26%
It should become standard equipment 12 31.58%
It should be an available option 3 7.89%
I would be willing to pay a little more 5 13.16%
Not interested if it costs more 1 2.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2008, 07:37 PM

Funny you should mention that. My other bike is a 97 KTM 250 EXC with the hockey stick silencer. KTM used that through 2005 and it's a great S/A silencer although heavy. It actually fits the newer KTM's as well. Might have to adapt one to the Gasser if FMF wont build the Q Stealth. I also have the Euro GG hockey stick style silencer to play with that I bought from Speedmaniac in Canada.

Hockey stick silencer on a new 2009 KTM

Last edited by Skidad; 12-06-2008 at 09:25 PM.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:34 AM

What I did not like about the KTM "hockey stick" silencer/SA on my 300EXC was that it collected spooge in the SA and dripped onto the rear caliper/rotor. Not a jetting issue as the bike ran clean. When running modern synthetic (high flash point) oils a lot goes through the motor/exhaust unburned and some will collect in the SA, my '07 does the same thing.

I'm satisfied with the TC2 or OEM GG silencer. Its quiet enough for overall use and a lot quieter than most of the 4-strokes out there. If things change and I'm the loud guy then of course I'll deal with it.

Perhaps its not a big deal to me because I run the Hyde combo. Plastic, not aluminum, and it covers a lot of the pipe as well.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:14 AM

[QUOTE=GMP;23510]What I did not like about the KTM "hockey stick" silencer/SA on my 300EXC was that it collected spooge in the SA and dripped onto the rear caliper/rotor. QUOTE]

I have a welded on drip edge to stop that from happening. I also remove the S/A every so often and torch the crap out of it until it look new. No biggie.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
What I did not like about the KTM "hockey stick" silencer/SA on my 300EXC was that it collected spooge in the SA and dripped onto the rear caliper/rotor.
Didn't those silencers have a spooge drain on the bottom?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:40 AM

Yup, but it doesn't seem to do much. I prefer to just take everthing apart and torch it clean then repack the the Moose/Race Tools premade inserts although I read these were getting discontinued. Hope not, good item.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:01 PM

What happens is the oil that normally blows out in a gradual mist collects in the back of the "bullet" of the SA, and then drips out. The packing and the outside of the bullet is usually fine. A regular silencer with the same jetting would run perfectly clean with no spooge drip. I think this is common with a Krizman type SA. This same thing happens with the TC2 on my '07 250, but to a much lesser extent, probably because its a lot shorter than the KTM silencer/SA.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Has anyone been hassled for their spark arrestor with the db snorkel? It covers the usfs lettering on my spark arrestor, so I'd have to remove it to prove it.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 11-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I added the db snorkel to my FMF turbine core 2. It makes almost no difference in sound at an idle, but while riding it's super quiet. Others riding with me notice how quiet it is. However, now I notice how much mechanical noise my engine makes. It sort of drives me nuts. I'm going to do a top end to see if that's loose, and I'm thinking of doing crank bearings just because. My bike has 200 miles on it, so that may be a little premature, but I'm just thinking.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 11-18-2009, 08:43 AM

I've been running the Stealth lately, and honestly, I can't tell a big difference from my well maintained TC2, at least when riding the bike. It also spooges a lot more as it seems to trap more oil blown out with the exhaust, as I expected it would. I'm on the fence if I want to keep it or not, as I never had a problem with noise at any event. I got it for quieter local riding, but not sure if it makes much difference.

200 miles? You mean 2000 right? Even so, the lower end should be fine, Especially considering Jeff and Les cared for that bike. I'd just do a top end, and clean the PV. I've seen a 300 go over 6K miles.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:55 AM

i have read somewhere that it is possible that you can wrap some old inner tube around the expansion chamber, wich i did, but i can't really tell how much difference there is.i never got it tested for DB.
it's not very quit, but not loud either.
and i'm not saying it looks good,but it might work somewhat
it doesn't bother me personally but would like it even more quit since the trails i'm doing are not really legal and don't want too many people to be bothered by me passing by.
i have to go that way since there are no real legal trails available around here
i do believe that the most noise comes from the expansion chamber since it's such a thin plate that it's been made of.

ciao ,hannes.