Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 12-05-2006, 07:58 AM

I have worn glasses since 1968. (I'm 44) I also have an Astigmatism. I am having real problems driving at night, too. I'm also not a very good candidate for Lasik - based on consultations.

I've tried Randy's (ProVue) goggles and I can't wear them. The problem for me is with the corective lenses sitting a half to 3/4 inches farther out in front of my face - everything seems like I'm standing on top of a pitcher's mound. I've even gone so far as to wear the goggles around the house to get use to them. But all that's gotten me is migranes.

So, for the last few years, I have developed my own system of wearning glasses under my goggles for MX - and for off-road stuff - I have a pair of prescription safety glasses. (much like the old Enduro glasses I wore in the 70s.)

For the relatively short time I'm on an MX track, the glasses/goggles thing works fine. For an hour to two hour off-road race - the safety glasses are OK. I can deal with that much better than the fogging.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:59 PM

I use the prescription insert from 888RX. Fortunately my eyes aren't too bad yet,(i'm 37). When I take them off I can't really see anything at a distance but up close is okay. I tried glasses when I started riding but that was a wash. The insert from 888RX has been a gift from above. The only real downside is that you are fairly restricted in the brand of goggles you use. They fit great in Scott, Pro-Grip and Smith. They have different inserts to fit pretty much any goggle made. I stick with Scott because they work great for me.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Contacts and goggles

For dusty trail riding I use contacts and goggles. I've worked with the optometrist to get contacts that don't dry out so fast. Also use "wetting" drops every couple hours to help from drying out.